New Model Army revolvers

Sign the guestbook
The Gael

New Model Army revolvers

Post by The Gael »

I have an interest in New Model Army revolvers. I have been able to acquire two of them thus far and would like to know more about their manufacturing and delivery dates to know if they may have been used during the Civil War. The serial number on the first is 82843... the number on the second is 113643 (but the second digit looks to be stamped over another number inside the grip). Where might I learn more of the manufacturing of the arms?
The Gael

Re: New Model Army revolvers

Post by The Gael »

I do not have Donald Ware's book, but have now perused the posts in the Society, and have learned that they were Civil War era firearms.
The revolver with serial number 82843 came with the effects of Lt Colonel Burke who attained his rank in July of 1863. By reading other posts, it seems that this revolver was a June or July issued weapon.... which would match his service data.
The revolver with serial number 113643 came with a grouping of articles of a Captain Graves who was promoted to that rank in December of 1864. Once again someone posted that the range for December covered that revolver.
I would still appreciate knowing if Burke's revolver was issued in June or July.
Thanks in advance for any help,
Joe
The Gael

Re: New Model Army revolvers

Post by The Gael »

Sorry for the error... Burke's promotion and the revolver were Summer of 1864, not 1863.