Need info for pump action .22

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
lonewolf

Need info for pump action .22

Post by lonewolf »

I was trying to get some information on an old pump action Remington. It has an octagon barrel that is about 24 inches long. Serial #390460 with an RW right above it. Also has an CH 2 stamped on the left side of the barrel. It shoots .22 short, longs, and long rifles. It looks like it may have had some kind of folding rear tang sight on it but is now missing. Also has all the patent dates on the barrel: Pederson patents 1909-1911. Has about 50% bluing and is in good condition. Shoots very well. And has an metal curved butt plate. Just wondering what model this might be and when it was made and if it is worth anything. Thanks for any information you may provide.
remington600

Re: Need info for pump action .22

Post by remington600 »

It sounds like you have a model 12c. Which would have 24 inch barrell and crescent butt plate and shoot shorts, longs, and long rifles without any adjustmant. With it having a pederson barrell stamping you most likely have a early model ,and should have a flat crown barrell, but thats not always the case. A folding rear tangsight mounted in the two small screw holes on the top rear of the reciever( it kind of looks like a bent T). The value is based on condition, condition, and again condition. With what you told me on 50% bluing I will assume the same on wood, and if you said its all mechanically great your looking in the ballpark of 350.00 to 450.00. You have a great 22.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Let me correct myself if your barrell stamping begins with pederson you have a early one. Your later ones will have the pederson stamping and then followed by the patent numbers.
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

According to the serial number, your rifle was made in 1917 according to Remington factory records (which are off by a year or two at times). But... the Pedersen name was dropped from the barrel script in 1911.

If the stamp is C
H (C over H) it is a proof or testing stamp. If it is CH2 (one line) it means a replacement barrel sent in April, 1939.

As is often the case, it's hard to pin down old Remingtons. That's what makes it fun...
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

So if the Pedersen name was dropped in 1911, could this be an odd occurance or could it be that a barrel with the Pedersen name on it was sent as a replacement without anyone being aware of it? Just taking a wild guess on this. Anyways thanks for all of your help and information. It was really very helpful. Again thank you very much.
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

Is the stamp C over H or one line? If it's C over (above) H, it's probably a barrel that was picked over in the bin for a while. If it's a one line stamp it's probably a replacement barrel, but the Pedersen stamp on a very late barrel remains a mystery. Also, does the wear on the barrel match the receiver???

A photo of the CH2 stamp would help.
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

Yes, the CH 2 is one line. Yes the wear on the barrel does match the receiver. I tried taking pictures of the stamp and everything else on the barrel. But, I don't have one of those high end type of cameras that is capable of taking those kind of close up and clear pictures. I did take some pictures but apparently the file is bigger than what is allowed on here. Thank you anyways.