Model 17, checkered but no engraving?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Recoil Rob

Model 17, checkered but no engraving?

Post by Recoil Rob »

I have 2 M17's

A standard field grade, no checkering, ringed forend (but has a two barrel set, both numbered to the gun) and a 17E.

A friend just bought one in very nice condition, it has no engraving but the stock and forend are checkered. Was there such a variation or was the checkering added to a field grade? No letter in the serial number.
Wulfman

Re: Model 17, checkered but no engraving?

Post by Wulfman »

You might look at these two links.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/forums/ ... =7&t=19026

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/forums/ ... f=7&t=4334

By the way, how did your "project gun" turn out? (the high-grade 17 that needed lots of TLC)

Den

Fowlgunner

Post by Fowlgunner »

Maybe Researcher01 will help us with a catalog scan, but a B grade would be checkered on the forearm and pistol grip with no engraving.

Will
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

Fowlgunner wrote:Maybe Researcher01 will help us with a catalog scan, but a B grade would be checkered on the forearm and pistol grip with no engraving.

Will
That would be in the second link I listed.
If there are any more scans of the 17s on these pages, I couldn't find them.

Den

Recoil Rob

Post by Recoil Rob »

I thought it might be a B grade but then I thought my E grade is marked "17E", wouldn't a B grade be marked "17B"?

My E project is still that, a project waiting in line behind others.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

Recoil Rob wrote:I thought it might be a B grade but then I thought my E grade is marked "17E", wouldn't a B grade be marked "17B"?

My E project is still that, a project waiting in line behind others.
Ummmmm.......not necessarily (in my opinion). Based on what they did with the model 12s (.22s), the lower grades were distinguished by different "features" (or lack of them)........straight grips instead of pistol grips, flat hard rubber butt plates instead of curved metal ones, round barrels instead of octagon ones......etc., etc. I think that they started with the Model C in stamping the "C" designation on them.

Den