Remington 1882 10g parts wanted (or possible sell)

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
brcafi

Remington 1882 10g parts wanted (or possible sell)

Post by brcafi »

Hello. I have recently inherited (what's left of) what I believe is a Remington 1882 10-gauge shotgun.
Serial number is 14286 (all parts are matching), and I believe it's a Grade 5. "E. Remington & Sons Ilion NY" is barely visible on top of the barrels.

The gun, however, is in BAD condition (to put it lightly). It's missing a stock, a right hammer (and trigger), the trigger guard is snapped at the very rear, a firing spring is missing, and both the barrels are completely shot. How it got to this condition is unknown to anybody. My brother claims to have heard a story where my grandpa and great grandpa (the gun's owner) went out in the woods to shoot it, but upon firing it the stock exploded. Noone else in my family has heard this story though, and my grandpa has passed away. We found the gun as-is in a closet in his house. (Which is odd because he had a J.C. Higgins 12-gauge that's in excellent condition as well).

I know better than to try to fix the gun up to firing condition (I know better than to shoot it too, what with the damascus barrels), but I can't bear to toss it out. I'm really into anything antique, especially ones that have a family history to them.

Here's my first option: I want to find a stock for the gun (only the stock) and mount it in our cabin up north.
After all, what better firearm to have displayed out in the open than one that doesn't work?
It wouldn't have to be a pretty stock either. As you can see, the gun is in such bad condition that a crappy stock would go with it pretty well. Anyone here know of where I could acquire one of these? Wear & tear isn't a problem (actually, it's kinda preferred at this point).

The second option is this: Break the gun apart and sell what few functioning parts remain to others who could use them.
It has an original left hammer (and screw), a right firing spring, the cocking lever at the top is in good condition, and the front grip isn't too bad either (there's a metal piece chipped off at the very end, though). The whole action itself may be useful to someone. If I can't scrounge up a stock to mount it, I figured I could probably sell off these parts to some other 1882 owner who is (most likely) in dire need of them.
I don't want to go with this option, but it'd be better than having the firearm taking up space around the house for who knows how many more years (and it would probably make someone else pretty happy as well).

If you guys could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it!
2shooter

Re: Remington 1882 10g parts wanted (or possible sell)

Post by 2shooter »

Hi, I might have a original stock don't know how good it would fit or, I would be interested in your parts gun.
brcafi

Post by brcafi »

lol Wasn't expecting to get both options in a single reply.

You said you may have an original stock, but "don't know how good it would fit"?
Could you elaborate more on that?

Is it from a disused Remington 1882? (I don't want to ruin a working one to do this)

Upon inspecting the gun further, I actually think it may be a 12-gauge.
12-gauge shells fit almost perfectly into the barrels, but the extractor just misses catching them.
I can't imagine anything much larger than that fitting into the gun, though.
The 12-gauge shells don't wiggle around at all in there, but they just seem too small at the top.
I unfortunately can't find any 10-gauge shells to see how well those would fit, though.

How much would you be offering for the stock if it is the one I'm looking for?

And heck, do you have any other spare 1882 parts besides the stock that you'd be willing to sell?
Depending on the abundance of parts, how hard do you think it would be to get something like this firing again?
(I know the barrels would need to be completely changed out, though. You don't even want to see pictures of what the inside of them looks like).

Sorry about the onslaught of questions. I'm just excited that somebody finally knows what I'm talking about (most people I ask about the 1882 have never even heard of it before).

~ Brian
brcafi

Re: Remington 1882 10g parts to sell

Post by brcafi »

I've been thinking an awful lot about it, and I've actually opted to sell the parts to the gun instead.
I have no use for it (other than a decoration) and if someone else could use them, heck, that would be better.

I'd probably sell the entire thing for, say, $200?
(I read that an original 1882 hammer goes for around $100 by itself, so that's what I'm gauging my price on).

It is indeed a 10-gauge, Grade 5, Remington 1882.
Serial number of 14286.
Barrels are 30in. long, and made of damascus steel.

It would include:
-The barrels (both are horribly pitted on the inside, though.)
-The wooden foregrip (has some wear and the metal cap on the tip has chipped off, but otherwise in decent condition)
-The action (Hard to judge how good of condition this is in. The main part is fine but the bottom where the triggers lock in is snapped at the rear. Also, the left firing pin seems to have disconnected from the spring)
-A left hammer and screw (both original to the gun.)
-A right trigger (the left one is broken)
-The firing spring for the right barrel (which popped out of the gun when I disassembled it, but it's in good shape. I spent enough time trying to wrestle it back in there, though).
-The trigger guard (which is snapped at the rear)
-And the top lever (which seems to be in good condition).

Basically, what you see in the pictures is what you get (plus the firing spring, which I managed to find again after it shot out of the gun the last time I tried to reassemble it)

What do you say?
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

Hi, The price you put on the parts is more then I would pay.
Thank You.
brcafi

Post by brcafi »

Understandable, thanks anyway.

I just want to say that I pulled $200 off the top of my head.
I honestly have no idea how much the parts are actually worth.
(with a hammer being $100, i figured the rest would be about another $100, but I agree that seems a little high).

I'm going to try to find an antique shotgun expert today and see if they can get me a more accurate price for the parts.
BUSSMAN69

Post by BUSSMAN69 »

I am actually in need of a left hammer & screw for a 10 gauge 1882 Remington. Would you be willing to part with just those 2 items ?? And if so, for how much ?? Thanks.
RemRB

Post by RemRB »

Sorry, but just for your and a buyer information. Your 1882 is not a Grade 5, it is a Grade 3. Grade 5 would have been highly engraved. I think you are assuming grade 5 by that number 5 on the barrels. We don't really know the meaning of that number. It may have something to do with the Damascus type.
Dave1816

Post by Dave1816 »

Fellow MI resident I would be interested in buying your parts for close to your asking price if it is still for sale
brcafi

Post by brcafi »

Hi,

Thank you for the interest, but I've already sold and shipped the gun.
I apologize for not updating this forum post afterwards.

~Brian