.44 1858 New model SN 44011 fully engraved

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
cafi95

.44 1858 New model SN 44011 fully engraved

Post by cafi95 »

Hi everyone !

Just owner of this wonderful revolver, I would know a bit more about it.

Reading other posts on that forum, it must have been built during the late 1863's or early 1864's for the Union Army.

The engraving has been probably be done after the war, in the US or in France, where this revolver is now (I'm French).

Can anyone give me a best estimation of its building month ? (SN 44011)

Just for information, I shoot this gun and I was really amazed by its very great accuracy at 25 yards. Equivalent (best perhaps) to my Pedersoli Roger&Spencer built with numerical machines !

I used 15 gr. hunting black powder (Swiss S3) with a .454 round ball.

I've just a slight repair to perform to the indexation pin on the hammer ... that operation will be done by a famous gunsmith in Paris. After that, this Remington will be as perfect as in 1863 !

Thanks for any information about it !

Philippe
cafi95

Re: .44 1858 New model SN 44011 fully engraved

Post by cafi95 »

Hi,

Well, no answer so far to that post ! :(

I would be very happy about having a good dating of that gun ...

I guess it could have been manufactured during late 1863.

Does anyone could confirm that ?

The second part of my inquiry will be to know when this gun has been exported in Europe ... and for what use (French 1870's war ?). Perhaps some historical documents are remaining nowadays ?

Thanks a lot for any help. :D

Philippe
cafi95

Post by cafi95 »

Hello everyone !

Just some more photographs in order to enlighten the markings. It becomes obvious that all parts are from the same gun.

Hope that helps for identification ! :P

Philippe

slow10ker

Post by slow10ker »

According to Ware's book your revolver was manufactured approx Nov of 1863. I've no idea when it was engraved...

hope this helps!!!
cafi95

Post by cafi95 »

Hi,

Many thanks for that answer :D

I think it will be very difficult to know when and where that gun has been engraved ...

Probably in comparing that gun with other engraved ones ... I'll be able to define the country ... just a matter of time !

All the best ...

Philippe
DonCarnage

Post by DonCarnage »

Hi cafi95.
Any success find out info regarding engravement?
You seen any other engraved Remingtons?
Best Regards DonCarnage
gmaque

Post by gmaque »

Hello
You are fortunate to own such a nice Remington. I am fairly certain it is not factory engraved. Markings on your gun indicate that it was originally a military revolver. I know of no military Remingtons that were factory engraved. There are no records available at this time to tell us who did the factory engraving or which or how many revolvers might have been engraved. The few Remingtons I've seen that were supposedly "factory engraved" had very simple and sparce engraving. Nothing fancy. I've never seen a 1858 Army model that was "factory engraved", however I have seen several civilian Navy models with what is believed to be "factory engraving". The engraving on your gun is very nice, but I don't believe it is up to the standards of guns that were engraved by the factory engravers for any of the manufacturers of the period, Colt, Remington, Smith, etc.
cafi95

Post by cafi95 »

Hi !

Many thanks for your opinion. That's mine too ... But unfortunately, I was not able so far to know where (and when) this kind of engraving has been performed.

I must do a very deep searching to compare this engraving to others of the same century ...

Perhaps one private owner bought that gun after the Civil War (perhaps in Europe) and gave it to an anonymous gunsmith that did the job.

One can notice that the barrel rifles are in a perfect condition ... so is the accuracy (as good as my new Pedersoli target R&S !). This gun had probably a better destiny than some others with a low amount of shots. One will never know !

I was too busy these last months to resume my inquiries. As soon as I have some free time ... I'll work on that subject again.

Nethertheless, I can't prevent myself for having some glances to that beautifull gun ... and to think to the man who worked so many hours on it !

I'll keep you advised of any new informations.

All the best.

Philippe
CALIBRE44

Post by CALIBRE44 »

I would start with Schyler,Hartley & Graham of NYC. Do a search and see if you can compare there style with yours..It might be possible to trace the engraving to them. Hope this helps...Jim
cafi95

Post by cafi95 »

Hi !

I had a look on there ... but no joy so far.

Nevertheless I found some other antic guns sailers with some fine pieces. But none of them that looks like mine.

Just a matter of time ... and luck !

So long ...

Phllippe