Replacement wood

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
gastrap

Replacement wood

Post by gastrap »

I'm sure most of the Society members probably know where to go for wood to restore or repair their prized Pederson Pump rifle
but in case there are some who don't, I will relate my recent experience as an FYI. I recently purchased a nice little 30 rem.
model 14 carbine from a Society member and wasn't all that happy with the condition of the buttstock. The forend was good but years of use and some sanding had brought the wood below the edges of the steel buttplate. I found that a lot of places make replacement wood for the model 12 which with minor modifications will work on model 25's but I didn't find very many that made 14/14 1/2/ 141 wood. I called Wenig ,whom I've dealt with for years, and they had an ancient 14 pattern with the
curved butt I was looking for. I then checked Macon Gunstocks and they make all the 14/141 wood but with flat ends. I chose to pay the slightly higher Wenig price for the curved butt end and they consistantly use a better grade of walnut similar to the old wood on the original guns. Most other suppliers use cheaper more open grained fast growing river bottom walnut.
Anyway I hope this is of some use to the professional and garage gunsmiths out there.
oneoldsap

Re: Replacement wood

Post by oneoldsap »

Thank you sir , that's good to know !
gastrap

Re: Replacement wood

Post by gastrap »

My Wenig stock arrived this morning and I was very impressed with the quality of wood and the shaping of the stock. Wenig luckily had an old or early stock for their pattern with the curved buttplate surface that closely corresponds to the very early hard rubber and non-wrap around curved steel buttplate. Macon Gunstocks that are pictured on their websight are flat on the buttplate surface, so a lot of work would be necessary to fit a curved plate. I just thought I'd pass along the good news for Remington 14/141 owners.