Remington Rolling Block Saddle Carbine, unknown origine

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Dumont

Remington Rolling Block Saddle Carbine, unknown origine

Post by Dumont »

Hello there !

I recently bought this carbine and I was told it was in a Danish caliber.
It was sold without rear sight and extractor, so I ordered them from rollingblockparts.com
The extractor I received comes from an antique 12,7 44R, but it doesn't really fit and it seems that my barrel is from a larger caliber...

I'm wondering if my carbine is really a Danish one.
Take a look at what can be read on it, very few marks.

I would be glad if some of you Remington enthusiasts can give me some clues about this old lady.

many thanks ! :wink:
satan is salesman
Dumont

Re: Remington Rolling Block Saddle Carbine, unknown origine

Post by Dumont »

I'm sorry, I posted about a Remington Rolling block in the "handguns" section, if an admin can shift it to the rifle section... :oops:
satan is salesman
tjack

Post by tjack »

Your carbine has a Remington receiver. The sling swivels have a decided European appearance, not Remington. The chamber looks large for the Danish cartridge. According to Barnes' Cartridges of the World the Danish cartridge has a base diameter of .514". If you can measure the rear section of the chamber it should measure slightly larger than .514" if it is Danish. Whatever it is, post the info; it will help ID your chamber. If you do the same with the muzzle that will help too. A chamber cast is the only positive way to ID a chamber but the above measurements will help. Nice looking carbine!!!!
Dumont

Post by Dumont »

thanks for your answer !
I'm about to do a chamber cast as everybody told me it will be the only way to know the caliber.
satan is salesman
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

Hello Dumont,

That is one very nice early carbine that you have. It would be nice to see the results of your chamber cast. By the looks of the markings and the concave breech block, I would think the gun was made before 1870. The sling swivels look very similar to the ones found on the Remington split-breech carbines. You will have to do a little work on that extractor to match the contour of the chamber.

Have a Good Day,
Matt
vulture

Re: Remington Rolling Block Saddle Carbine, unknown origin

Post by vulture »

I wouldn't think it would be to difficult to modify the extractor so it will work right so long sa it fits and moves freely in the extractor Chanel like it should, all you would need to do is remove some metal along the inner area so it will fit up against the cartridge and then just remove the excess metal from the lip that fits under the rim. Other than that it looks like a very good fit in every other way. There are a couple of European cartridges these were chambered for as well as a couple from South America. The ones I've seen from South America are usually either the 7x57, which yours defiantly isn't, the .43 Remington Spanish which is a neck down round and the rifles have the Remington info on the tang, and then there is the .43 Spanish Reformado which uses the same basic case as the .43 Remington but it eliminates the shoulder and the rifles were produced at the Ovido Arsenal in Mexico, I believe. The French had an .8mm chambering but not sure what the full designation was or the configuration of the round, how large a base it had. Good luck, it is a nice looking carbine.