Engraved Rem No. 1 Single Barrel Rolling Block 16 Gauge?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Roanoke

Engraved Rem No. 1 Single Barrel Rolling Block 16 Gauge?

Post by Roanoke »

I've spotted an antique Remingtion shotgun I've never seen before. It's engraved with dogs and birds on the receiver, elk on the triggerguard, gold E. Remington address on the barrel, federal eagle on top of the breech, and engraving on the hammer, screws, escuthens and everywhere else. Anybody know anything about these? Is it factory work or did someone like Nimschke do it? It's coming up for auction July 10 at the Chesapeake auction house in St. Leonard, Md. Pictures are on their website. Check it out and let me know if this a rare presentation piece or what.
RemRB

Re: Engraved Rem No. 1 Single Barrel Rolling Block 16 Gauge?

Post by RemRB »

In 1991 I photographed a number of Remington double shotguns and the owner asked me to just take a couple photos of his engraved single shot rolling block. I am not an expert on engraved rolling blocks, but after viewing the Cheasapeake site, my opinion is that one is a special order, as was his. The Chesapeake is much like the attached photos. On that shotgun the dogs are in gold, but there is a similarity of the dogs to the one at auction. Also a similarity to the engraving style. The owner (now deceased) did not have any information about that shotgun. And unfortunately I don't remenber the gauge. So as to a presentation piece or for what reason these were made, in my opinion, remains a mystery.
Attachments
scan0002.jpg
scan0002.jpg (216.07 KiB) Viewed 4101 times
scan0001.jpg
scan0001.jpg (249.01 KiB) Viewed 4101 times
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I asked Roy Marcot, editor of the Remington Society of America Journal, and author of Remington America's Oldest Gunmaker, and Roy replied --

"They were made in Liege, Belgium, by the Nagant Brothers for E. Remington & Sons in the 1870s."
1badf350

Post by 1badf350 »

I believe I have pictures of the exact gun you are referring to. I would like to know what the histor of this is as well.
Attachments
IMAG0051.jpg
IMAG0051.jpg (75.39 KiB) Viewed 3721 times
IMAG0050.jpg
IMAG0050.jpg (74.38 KiB) Viewed 3721 times
IMAG0049.jpg
IMAG0049.jpg (49.53 KiB) Viewed 3721 times
roundtop

Post by roundtop »

Does any one know what this shotgun sold for? I missed this one. Some info I have found on them. The first ad I have knowledge of is the May 30, 1874 Army & Navy journal listing them for $55 to $80. In the 1874 Remington catalog they are listed at $55, $56, $70, $80, & $100. The $70 is engraved, the $80 is extra engraved. I would guess the $100 grade is the gold inlaid. They were shipped with 1 draper patent shotgun shell, loader, screwdriver, and cleaning rod. The rod fits under the barrel like on a muzzle loader. The 2 holes under the trapdoor in butt plate holds the draper shell and a bore cleaning brush. One of mine still has the brush & shell. Mine are the true 16 guage. The common ones usually seen are 16 B guage which is close to 20 guage. All the engraved ones I have seen have the American emblem engraved on top of receiver. Stars are gold on the higher grade. Even the $55 grade had E Remington inlaid in gold on the ribbed barrel. All models had the rib on top and the rod under the barrel as far as I know. The last listing was the 1879 catalog. $55 was a lot of money for a single barrel shotgun when you could get a double barrel Remington Whitmore lifter model for $45. If any one has more info you would like to share, please do so. Or if you have one for sale? Maybe some day we will know the whole story. Ed