Remington-UMC as purchasing agent for Brit Govt during WWI

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Pistols
samoyed38

Remington-UMC as purchasing agent for Brit Govt during WWI

Post by samoyed38 »

Hello folks,
I own a S&W pistol in .455 that letters to having been shipped to Remington-UMC on 24 Feb 1916. From the proofs and name on the backstrap, I can tell it saw considerable action during WWI. The letter from the S&W historian also states that Remington acted as purchasing agents for the British govt during this time. I am looking for any information about where they would have shipped arms purchased in this country and then sent across the Atlantic. Any information concerning Remington's role during WWI would be appreciated also. Thank you.
Ryan B Conway
MSgt, USAF, retired
Gene Myszkowski

Post by Gene Myszkowski »

Hi, I don't have anything on the British purchases but I do have some infromation on the French purchases during WWI. The French needed to rearm their Automobile Corps in order to free up their M1890 Bethier carbines for front line use. They purchased 796 Remington Rolling Block Carbines in 7mm and 1153 M1899 Remington Lee Carbines in .30-40 from Remington in April 1915. 3,000 Remington Lees (my field of interest) were originally sold to Cuba in 1905, over 1/2 were returned to Remington in 1914, refurbished and the Cuban crest polished off before being sold to France. The French also purchased 2,400 Winchester lever action carbines (caliber not noted) and issued 994 KAR 1888 carbines captured from the Germans to the Automobile Corps. The Corps, in 1915, consisted of 6,000 vehicles and by the end of the war 45,000 vehicles.

Gene Myszkowski
Author - The Remington-Lee Rifle
AlanD

Re: Remington-UMC as purchasing agent for Brit Govt during WWI

Post by AlanD »

J.P.Morgan was the main purchasing agent for Britain in America, during the First World War. Remington acted as a sub-agent consoledating shippments of small arms to the UK, from other makers such as Colt, Winchester and S&W.

Regards

AlanD
Sydney
Australia