Help with Remington-Lee 45-70 (Navy)

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
jimjuliem@yahoo.com

Help with Remington-Lee 45-70 (Navy)

Post by jimjuliem@yahoo.com »

The following rifle was given to me my my dad and his dad gave it to him. I am not sure when it was made, but perhaps someone can tell me from the serial number. It is missing the sling swivel adjacent to the clip box. By any remote chance does anyone have one of those for sale? I am interested in removing the stock from the barrel. I can remove the two front retaining rings and the barrel moves to a degree, but something near the trigger or bolt keeps it from being removed completely. There must be some simple trick to this. I looked for nuts or screws that might be the culprit. but saw nothing. I pushed on the clip removal latch but that didn't seem to release anything. What is the next step to removing the barrel after the retaining rings are removed? Thanks in advance for any help.
Remington Lee 45-70
On breach:
U.S.N.
(anchor symbol below)
WWK

On side:
Remington Arms Company Ilion, NY USA

Serial number 60803
Attachments
Remington 45-70 double image.JPG
Remington 45-70 double image.JPG (19.81 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
rudybolla

Re: Help with Remington-Lee 45-70 (Navy)

Post by rudybolla »

Nice example. Can't help in taking it apart. Trivia: USS OLYMPIA had several hundred of these rifles onboard when she sailed for the Orient in 1895. Lots of people think that since she fired the first shots to begin the Spanish American War on May1, 1898, that she had Krags or Winchester Lee Navy rifles. But in those days, you did not resupply a squadron on station, especially with small arms.
Gene Myszkowski

Re: Help with Remington-Lee 45-70 (Navy)

Post by Gene Myszkowski »

Hi Jim,
My emails were hacked a while back but I found one of your messages.
The Remington serial number should be 50803. The highest Model 1885 serial number to turn up so far is 54958. WW Kimball inspected the first 1,950 Navy rifles with US Navy numbers from 1001 to 2950. The first 1,650 rifles were delivered to the New York Navy Yard June 10, 1889. Your rifle - WWK inspected, Navy # 1816 - would have been in this batch.

You have removed the two barrel bands, and the front guard screw, now you need to remove the bolt. Lift the bolt handle up, insert the point of a screw driver in the notch at the rear of the extractor spring and gently pry forward releasing the spring hook from the pin in the bolt. Take out the spring, extractor and the bolt head after turning it. Slide the bolt out and now the rear guard screw is visible and removed. The trigger guard and barreled action may be stuck in the stock with the dried grease. Gentle tapping should release both.

The full story of the Remington Lees can be found in my book The Remington-Lee Rifle listed in the book section of this website.

Gene Myszkowski