My Mystery Rollingblock

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
GT182

My Mystery Rollingblock

Post by GT182 »

I have a Remington Rolling Block with a short barrel and 30-40 Krag is the caliber. Were these from the factory in 30-40 Krag and short barrel. On the top of the curved butt-plate is stamped US just in front of the top screw. I've been told this was from an Armory and it's been rebarreled but don't believe it's been rebarreled. It also has a elevator rear site, short forestock. Trigger guard has a hole thru the front side just under the frame. Maybe for a saddle ring?.

The Patent Dates on the top of the rear top tang for stock attachment are May3d Nov 15TH 1864, April 17TH 1868, Aug 27TH 1867 and Nov 7TH 1887(18 doesn't show very well..pitted). With the stock removed the left side of the top tang,left side,has number 7177 and the bottom tang, left side also, has 16742. Not sure if the are serial numbers or what. No numbers appear onthe barrel but there are proof marks. (S) is in front of the rear sight.

If you can tell me anything about this carbine I'd really appreciate it. None of the Remington books I've seen lately have any info on it that I can find. This is the only short barrled rollingblock I've ever seen, but there must be more like it out there somewhere. I sent an email to Remington in Ilion, NY and they referred me to here.

I can send pictures to someone if they need them.

BTW, I also need the screw that holds the forestock to the underside of the barrel.

Thanks for the help
S!
Gary Carr .... GaryTurk182@cs.com
518-358-4483
RoyMarcot

Reply to Gary re: rolling block

Post by RoyMarcot »

Dear Gary:

Regarding your short-barrel rolling block in .30-40 Govt caliber...

Yes, please email photos to me at: roymarcot@msn.com

From your description you may have a Remington Model 1897 military carbine chambered for the .30-40 Govt (Krag) round. If so, Remington Arms Company stamped 30 US on top of the barrel. I can best tell from photographs.

It is possible that you are describing a pre-smokeless powder rolling block carbine that was altered to .30-40 Govt. Several arms merchants did this post-WWI, including Bannermans.

Send the photos and I'll post a reply.

Glad to help.

Roy Marcot
Remington Historian
GT182

Post by GT182 »

Thanks Roy. I'm leaving on vacation today and will get pictures to you when I return home. I should be back the 30th.

Thanks for info.

S!
Gary