Model 11 Sportsman firction ring

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
mearscn

Model 11 Sportsman firction ring

Post by mearscn »

Hi folks:

Recently I happened across a mod. 11 sportsman that was given to me because it "is just an old gun." I happily took this "old" gun and plan to use it on upland birds this fall. My question is does anyone have information on how to set the friction ring for low base shells. I have heard that one is supposed to change it.... but I know little about this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris
Tom Regel

Friction ring settings

Post by Tom Regel »

In the old days when paper shells killed lots of ducks and we had essentially two types of ammo...high base and low base.....these settings were important. Today if you will set yhe friction ring apparatus (the 2 piece ring with the beveled edged and the clutch or squeezer device immediated against the barrel .....upfront in the lineup. This device with its beveled edge engages the barrel ring and makes the gun function during recoil. next place the spacer ring so that the flat edge is always ....always against the recoil spring. The beveled edge of the friction device apparatus then engages both the barrel ring and the beveled side of the spacer. For just about everything you load this will allow the gun to cycle very nicely. ....as most ammunition today is setup hot enough intentionally to cycle auto loaders as this type gun has a lion' share of the market. As a tip always keep the recoil tube and big recoil spring clean and well lubed. Finally, I would not recommend shooting any 2 3/4 inch baby mags in your old gun. I would also recommend that you acquire a slip-on rubber recoil pad....as these old recoil operated guns will bite you.
Eagles and men belong where they can fly and hunt.
wrhusted

Re: Model 11 Sportsman firction ring

Post by wrhusted »

mearscn wrote:Hi folks:

Recently I happened across a mod. 11 sportsman that was given to me because it "is just an old gun." I happily took this "old" gun and plan to use it on upland birds this fall. My question is does anyone have information on how to set the friction ring for low base shells. I have heard that one is supposed to change it.... but I know little about this.
A fairly lengthy discussion of this problem and solution (with pictures!) may be found at the Gunsmithing forum of the Practical Machinist. I've put the very long URL through tinyurl.com for your convenience:

http://tinyurl.com/euqlg

Good luck! I thoroughly enjoy shooting my model 11!
Wayne R. Husted
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

My original Remington Sportsman manual only shows the heavy and what the the above thread calls the medium setting.

Back in the 1950s when the 2 3/4 inch magnum shells came out, Arthur Koveleski (sp) sold a heavier spring for these guns to handle those then new shells. I have a 16-gauge Sportsman with one of those springs, and it cannot be made to function reliably with 1 ounce loads, but works fine with the 1 1/8 ounce Super-X type loads or the 1 1/4 ounce 16-gauge 2 3/4 inch magnum loads.