Remington Model 31 12ga

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Yankee John

Remington Model 31 12ga

Post by Yankee John »

Just thought I'd show off my newest shotgun purchase - A vintage Remington Model 31 12gauge. I have two shot guns now- the other is a 1912-dated Remington Model 11 12ga.

I guess that these aren't that common- not much info around about them.

I bought it from a local antique shop yesterday. I wasn't familiar with these, but the condition is great and the price was cheap!

Here's the specs: 30" full choke barrel 12 gauge (mirror bore :D ), 90% + blueing, numbers matching reciever and barrel, great stocks but has recoil pad added and someone varnished over the original oil finish (the varnish is flaking off). I called the Remington Historical Dept. and they say it was made in 1937!

Let me know what you think!

John

Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The Model 31 is the slickest pump gun ever built, bar none!! And, I shot NSSA Skeet with a set of Winchester Model 12s for years. I recently got in to Model 31s, and I've discovered there are three different versions -- the 1931 version, the 1934 version and the 1941 version. Your gun appears to be a 1934 version. The barrel attachment/take-down arrangement is different in each version, and barrels will only interchange within their version. For the 1941 version Remington lengthened the triggerguard and moved the trigger rearward about a half an inch for a better grip feel. There should be a two-letter date code on your barrel at the breech end, just above the action slide bar on the left side. When the Model 31 was first introduced it was only offered in 12-gauge, but by the next paper I have, an August 12, 1933, price list it was offered in 12-, 16-, and 20-gauge.