Info on Rolling Block Rifle

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
metamage

Info on Rolling Block Rifle

Post by metamage »

I am trying to learn more about a rifle bought at auction many years ago. It is definitely a rolling block design, but does not have the Remington name on it, nor any patents. Perhaps it was licensed elsewhere. My father thinks it might have come from the Canadian Mounties because he saw RMC on it somewhere when he had taken it apart for restoring(I can't find it anywhere, but I am loath to disassemble the action to check without a diagram).

On metal plate, right side of the weapon mechanism(Action or Reciever?!?!), is written IR. 0 with 1873 below it (Note: it could be AR with the two letters joining)
On the bottom of the barrell, under the wooden grip, was the number 2075, with a capital M and a period enclosed in a semi-circle above.
Inside the metal flange that the rear stock attaches too was the number 128 followed by an E enclosed by a circle.
From message boards, distinguishing features of the rifle are the strap loop on the rear stock(and not on the trigger assembly itself) and a complete lack of any rear site.

Specs:
Overall length: 38"
Barrell length: 22.5"
Caliber: roughly .40

I have some digital pictures, but can't seem to post them in the message body. I can email to anyone interested.

Alan(metamage@aol.com)
rudybolla

Post by rudybolla »

Hi:

You have a Spanish manufactured Eibar carbine (neat little rifles!). They were produced by Oviedo Arms Factory (ARO). It is likely chambered in the Spanish Reformado cartridge, but may be .43 Spanish. The lack of rear sight may indicate a training rifle for "Snap shooting". (Per George Layman's book The Militaryy Remington Rolling Block Rifle.)
metamage

Post by metamage »

Thanx Rudy. That is a big help. I was thinking of going into downtown DC this weekend to see some military equipment displays. I suppose I can take time to detour to the Library of Congress and read up on the Eigar and Ovieda(The internet seems scarce on info on it). Does anyone know what the value of this rifle might be?!?!
Got an image up. Also determined it is a centerfire cartridge, and is has a rounded barrel(as opposed to the octragonal). This looks like it was patterned after the No. 4 model?!?!
rudybolla

Post by rudybolla »

Values can be tricky, especially with oddball models. I have had numerous very rare foreign contract rolling blocks that are certainly equal to their Remington counterparts, but that nobody in the US was interested in paying what they are worth on the European market. Lots of people are needlessly leery of the foreigh contract rifles. The proofing standards were very high. And while your carbine has a real neat intent - training horsemen to snap shoot w/o a rear sight while riding - unless someone collects all manner of military rolling blocks they probably are not interested.