New Model Army Serial #

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
cowboydj

New Model Army Serial #

Post by cowboydj »

I`m new to this forum and this is my first time posting.I have owned this New Model Army for about 20 years and would like to know when it was manufactured. Serial #817xx. Also the steel on the gun has a "wood grain look" to it. How were they cast? Serial # under the barrel is unrecognizable, but frame, trigger guard & grips match. Any Info would be helpful. Thank you......Dave
235b.jpg
235b.jpg (93.17 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
]
237b.jpg
237b.jpg (105.25 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
Mike Strietbeck

Re: New Model Army Serial #

Post by Mike Strietbeck »

Good Evening Cowboydj and welcome to the RSA Forum.

According to the records in my files, your Remington New Model Army revolver, sn 817XX, was manufactured approximately June 1864. If it bears the Ordnance Department final acceptance mark, (inspectors cartouche' on the grip), it would have been part of the 6000 units of this model revolver shipped that month to the Ordnance Department as part of the contract, dated Nov. 21, 1863, with E. Remington & Sons. Also contingent on this cartouche', your revolver would have been 1 of 116,764 total New Model Army revolvers furnished by Remington to the Union forces during the Civil War.

After reviewing your photo's, the "wood-grain" appears to be scratches. All of Remington's revolvers were machined relatively smooth from a forging, and then blued, prior to shipping. These operations were part of the in-process and final inspection procedure.

I trust that this answers your question, and if we can be of further assistance, let us know. While you have us fresh in your mind, please consider giving our organization a try by becoming a member. The cost is only $45.00 and I'm sure you will find that the RSA Journal, published 4 times per year is without a doubt the finest collectors magazine in the world. The additional exposure to like minded collectors is a real plus.

Best Regards,

Mike Strietbeck
RemShots
RSA V.P
cowboydj

Post by cowboydj »

Mike, I am an advertising photographer in Buffalo NY, and I look at things with a little more detail than most folks. The "wood grain" is something of a mystery to me. It almost looks like a sand cast, definitely not scratches. This is only on the gun frame. Here are some close up photos of the areas to show their continuity. No inspectors mark on the grips. All the New Model Army`s I have seen are always smooth as you say. Is this a "freak" manufacture. Thanks for your response Dave
Attachments
242.jpg
242.jpg (179.91 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
241.jpg
241.jpg (238.59 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
239.jpg
239.jpg (176.02 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
Last edited by cowboydj on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
cowboydj

Post by cowboydj »

One more photo of back strap.
Attachments
246.jpg
246.jpg (133.53 KiB) Viewed 2382 times
Mike Strietbeck

Post by Mike Strietbeck »

Dave,

Photo's are far better than the average collector submits. You must enjoy your job. Looking at your new photo's I'd venture a guess that the pattern was caused by corrosion at some time in its life. No other thoughts come to mind.

Mike Strietbeck
Particular interest is in Revolving rifles, Cane rifles, hand guns, and all Remington knives. Conducting survey on revolving rifles, please request survey form.