New in the Forum

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
hmaag

New in the Forum

Post by hmaag »

I'm new here. I'm living in Switzerland and an U.S. Collector spezialized in Colt Revolvers. 1953, when I was 16 years old, I got my first antique U.S.Revolver, a New Model Army Remington, later, I sold it, but recently, I bought a New Model Army Conversion Serial No 128529, Conversion No. 3665, with the Rollin White Patent April 03 1855 on the Cylinder. The Revolver is inspected, hard to read, J?B or P?R, the barrel is stamped R at left and P at right. With the Remington came a Colt 61 Navy, also a Govt. inspected Gun.
Happy New Year,
Hans
hmaag

Re: New in the Forum

Post by hmaag »

Photos of the first and the last Remington plus the Inspector Cartouche.
Hans
Attachments
Remington Old Collection.jpg
Remington Old Collection.jpg (72.33 KiB) Viewed 1666 times
Remington Inspector Cart.JPG
Remington Inspector Cart.JPG (120.94 KiB) Viewed 1666 times
Remington Conversion.JPG
Remington Conversion.JPG (188.51 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
Mike Strietbeck

Re: New in the Forum

Post by Mike Strietbeck »

Good Evening Hans,

Thanks for writing and posting your photo's. Based on the information I have in my files, your revolver Serial No 128529, was manufactured in January 1865 and the Conversion No. 3665, with the Rollin White Patent was part of the April 1, 1869 delivery of the Kittredge contract for these conversions from Smith & Wesson, with Remington performing the actual work on the conversion.

The proper cartouche for this revolver would be "RPB" attributed to an unidentified “Principal Sub-Inspector”. This party inspected at Remington very late in the War. He also inspected Rogers and Spencer revolvers at Utica, New York, in early 1865, suggesting that he was also serving at Remington's Utica Armory.

RPB has been incorrectly identified as Robert P. Barry, an Ordnance Department Officer during the Civil War.

I trust that you find this information usefull and we encourage you to join the Remington Society of America.

Best regards,

Mike Strietbeck
V.P. Remington Society of America