DOM Model 1889

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
rudybolla

DOM Model 1889

Post by rudybolla »

Traded into a well worn, but tight Remington Model 1889 12 gauge wth decarbonized steel barrels (Grade I). The SN is 58886. Can anyone tell me when this gun was made?

Also, the bores are kind of pitted. Any problems with this kind of steel and low pressure black powder loads? Thanks in advance.
Researcher

Re: DOM Model 1889

Post by Researcher »

According to the table in Charles Semmer's book, Remington Double Shotguns, your gun was one of the first made in 1894 (58880 to 66016).

Only a qualified gunsmith with the gun in hand can make any reasonable recommendation about shooting or not shooting the gun.
raydj

Post by raydj »

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one of the markings on the gun an indication of whether it was designed for smokeless powder? If so, given that the smokeless powders of the time were vastly different from today, might not a modern 'black powder replacement' like Pyrodex be the most appropriate to use - given that the gun is deemed shootable?
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

I have six Remington SxS's from an 1873 with de-carbonized barrels, four with damascus barrels, and one with regular steel and shoot modern smokeless powders in all of them. For respect to the older guns I handload low pressure loads [ under 7000 psi ]. RST sells low pressure loads for those who don't load their own. Your gun doesn't know if it's black powder or nitro powder making it go boom and if the pressures are kept the same it isn't going to matter. There are about eight guys at my club who shoot the old SxS's with damascus barrels every week with nitro loads. Your barrels are every bit as strong. The pitting would have to be really bad before I'd worry about it. Enjoy shooting it, that's what it was made for. Paul
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The "To The Trade" notice in the front of the October 1894 Remington Arms Co. catalogue, that introduces the Remington Hammerless Double Barrel Shot Gun, states "The Remington Guns, both Hammer and Hammerless, are especially adapted to all nitro powders, and every gun is thoroughly proved, tested and targeted, before leaving the armory."