1861 Remington 44

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
mbbristor

1861 Remington 44

Post by mbbristor »

My wife bought me this gun for christmas. On the barrel it has PATENTED DEC. 17 1861. The serial number is 12810. Any information on this gun would be great. Thanks

p.s.
Also on the left handle there seems to be a large J sideways on the there. What does that mean??
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Re: 1861 Remington 44

Post by Jay Huber »

I assume it is a Remington Old Model that was made in 1862. The marking on the grip is the remnants of a military inspection cartouche. Jay Huber RSA
mbbristor

Post by mbbristor »

Is there such thing as a transition model? It seems to have the features of the new model but stamped as the old model. And is there any way of telling where the gun went in 1862? The serial numbers all match. Thanks.
Mike Strietbeck

Post by Mike Strietbeck »

Can you describe the "features" of the New Model that you see, and photo's if possible?

Mike Strietbeck
Particular interest is in Revolving rifles, Cane rifles, hand guns, and all Remington knives. Conducting survey on revolving rifles, please request survey form.
mbbristor

Post by mbbristor »

I can't provide photos but I hope I can describe. The rod that holds the cylinder in place can not be moved unless you lower the loading lever. It also has the safty notches on the cylinder. I thought that it might be pieces together but all the serial numbers match. That is why I thought it was a "transition" model. The serial number is 12810.
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

Yes it is a transition model into the New Model. The first Old models had a high hammer,no safety notches and a sloted loading lever so you could remove the CYLINDER PIN without dropping the loading lever. They changed these features as they transition into the New Model, dropping the hammer, notices in the cylinder and a loading lever/cyl. pin like yours. They used up all the old model parts until they ran out so it was not all done at once.
I have no records as to where the gun went, Jay