Trying to Identify Smoot #2

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
rich blanchard

Trying to Identify Smoot #2

Post by rich blanchard »

High I am new to this site. I have had a Remmington & Sons pistol for quite a few years and some friends finally got me to share it with them. It turns out to be A New Model #2 Smoot pistol patented Oct. 21, 1873. My friend took off the grips and says the serial number is 147. I looked and it is a 30 caliber not the 32 as they say the older models were. I am wondering it this a rare gun? Are there many around? When approx. would it have been made since it is not the #1 model? I have not cleaned it and the conditon is not great. Does anyone have information about these guns? Thanks
remington600

Re: Trying to Identify Smoot #2

Post by remington600 »

How do you know its not a NO.1 smoot. If you look at the end of the barrel is there a screw just under the crown.
rich blanchard

Post by rich blanchard »

High thanks for asking now I am confused. I am looking at the gun now. I do not know what the crown is. There is a screw on the bottom of the gun where the barrel ends and the cylinder for the bullets begins. I assume both would be this way based on the way the gun come apart. The bottom that holds the trigger is one peice while the top holds the hammer and barrel. Aren't both the same construction?? Rich
remington600

Post by remington600 »

just under the end of the barrel were the bullit would exit if you were to fire it is there a small screw just ender the barrel hole or is it a pin?
rich blanchard

Post by rich blanchard »

Ok that appears to be a pin.
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

rich blanchard wrote:Ok that appears to be a pin.
Then it is a #2. First 600 of approximately 2,000 were 30 vs 32. 1877-1885 if my memory serves me right....

Dr Parkers on the Smoot's is both good and inexpensive.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/books/DrParker
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
rich blanchard

Post by rich blanchard »

The information is great thanks. Are these a desirable collectable? I have a family member asking I think he would sell it. I won't use it. It is different from any gun I have seen.
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

They are collectible but in reality not to the level of most other Remingtons. Now if there is an avid smoot collector out there they might certainly disagree but considering the relatively small quantities produced and the going prices I think it speaks for itself. The only smoot's in greater demand are the scarer variation like the #1 with a revolving recoil shield, any with a blue finish, and engraved examples. If it is a plain smoot to be worth justifying a family disagreement it has to be in excellent to mint condition.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer