pre 1889 camascus shotgun 12 Ga. 2 3/4" chamber Loads?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
muzzleloader

pre 1889 camascus shotgun 12 Ga. 2 3/4" chamber Loads?

Post by muzzleloader »

I have come into possession of a damascus Remington 12 Ga. shotgun with a chamber of 23/4". I have had a gunsmith check it out and look it over and he said it is a shooter! The bore is like a mirror and all numbers match. The serial number is 1035xx. I ordered ten rounds of 12 Ga. from Gamebore in London England which are blackpowder loads 1oz. no.6 shot what I beleive is a 2 dram load. Is this a safe load to shoot? If not any suggestions would gladly be helpful in getting this old gun off the shelf and into the field. Thank you, Robert Grossglass Lancaster PA.

Post by Guest »

To start with the chambers are 2- 5/8 inch unless they open up or you have a trap gun (marked trap) the shells used then had a roll crimp and
made them 1/8 inch shorter thus 2-5/8 inch chamber.you can still use your black powder shells.
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

I've been shooting my damascus sxs Remington with low pressure smokeless loads . I keep the pressure [ PSI ] below 6000 . If you reload , there are many loads you can use in this area and be safe . Paul
Leighton

Re: pre 1889 camascus shotgun 12 Ga. 2 3/4" chamber Loa

Post by Leighton »

muzzleloader wrote:I have come into possession of a damascus Remington 12 Ga. shotgun with a chamber of 23/4". I have had a gunsmith check it out and look it over and he said it is a shooter! The bore is like a mirror and all numbers match. The serial number is 1035xx. I ordered ten rounds of 12 Ga. from Gamebore in London England which are blackpowder loads 1oz. no.6 shot what I beleive is a 2 dram load. Is this a safe load to shoot? If not any suggestions would gladly be helpful in getting this old gun off the shelf and into the field. Thank you, Robert Grossglass Lancaster PA.
I have a very nice M 1889 Remington with damascus bbls also as well as many other damascus that I shoot . I reload with 7625 Powder and keep the pressures below 6500 lbs also. Many factory loads such as Gamebore and Eley 2 3/4x1 oz work just fine. These damascus are much stronger than the pundits have lead us to believe over the years as witnessed by Sherman Bell in The Double Gun Journal articles.