Rolling Block Idenification

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
sticksup

Rolling Block Idenification

Post by sticksup »

I have a Remington Rolling Block rifle that I am having trouble identifying. There are no patent dates on it , the only numbers are under the barrel. There is the number 32 then perpendicular to it J186903. On top of the barrel it has REMINGTON ARMS CO. ILION NY USA . It is a take-down model. Any information regarding the model and estimated value would be of great help.
tejn

unknown R/B

Post by tejn »

Sticksup,

It sounds like you may have a No4 rolling block in .32 rimfire. The patent dates may be on the left side of the receiver. Sometimes these are faintly marked. If the back end of the receiver is straight where it meets the butt stock, it is the No 4.
Value??? Have no idea what the condition is.
STICKSUP

ROLLING BLOCK ID

Post by STICKSUP »

Thanks for the info. I think you have correctly identified my gun . As far as the condtion, there is very slight pitting on the barrel and receiver, the stock has a crack on the bottum apparently from over tightening ,other than that it is a very solid gun. I still cannot see any patent dates even under magnification. As I mentioned before it is a take-down model . I hope this added information will help to date and get a value.
tejn

No. 4 rolling block

Post by tejn »

The No. 4's were manufactured from about 1890 to 1933. Their values, according to Fladerman's guide range from $150 in very good condition to $400 in excellent condition. "Very good" is defined as "all original parts; none to 30% original finish; original metal surfaces smooth with all edges sharp; clear lettering, numerals and design on metal; wood slightly scratched or bruised; bore disregarded for collectors firearms".