Need Help! Rare 1875 Remington Army in 45 Colt ? (Picture)

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
dingus

Need Help! Rare 1875 Remington Army in 45 Colt ? (Picture)

Post by dingus »

OK this is my Second 1875 Remington army Revolver this one is in 45 caliber. Its got a mexican sun type marking on the barrel top and the # 769 as well as the I Remington &sons . illonny USA.
The ser # is in the 5000 under the wood grip (i think the frist # is a 5 its hard to read). with the # 50 stamped on the other side of the grip strap.
The gun functions good still.
Cylinder has 45 Stamped lightly on its back.

I think its the real deal 45 caliber 1875 Because i have a 44 Caliber one and the Area where the cylinder fits in this frame the Area is longer by about or close to and 1/8 of and inch on this 45 caliber one and theres signs of orignal nickle so its not been altered.
The 45 Cylinder is longer than the 44 cal one to!

Aparently theses Mexican bought Remys had the orignal barrel shortened web removed and a diffrent or colt SAA style Cylinder pin with a side screw to take out the pin.
The hole with set screw is only on the Left side of the frame theres no hole on the right side.
Any info on the 45 colt 1875 Remy would be much appreciated. :)

How rare are theses 45 Cal ones

Also i just checked the Hammers are the same exact Shape BUT the 44 Cal one has the frist Gen colt style Cone hammer tip thats Removable!
The hammer tip on the Below 45 cal one is all one piece and is a flat sided fireing pin.
The fireing pin is Diffrent than the 44 Caliber gun!

I can take more pics of the two Hammers together if needed .
I find it odd that they would change the hammer tips shape.
Anyway i knew to buy this gun when it came up just in case its the Real deal a rare 45 Cal 1875 or 1890 maby??? Remington Army.

Picture Added! of the Two Remys side by side!!
Look at the Diffrent fireing pin holes in the frame.
That Mexican marked one was Factory made like that.

And one more photo of Mexican ones barrel markings.

dingus

Re: Need Help! Rare 1875 Remington Army in 45 Colt ? (Picture)

Post by dingus »

Hi anyone got ANY info on the 1875s made in 45 Colt Please!!! :?

How many were made ?
Mike venturino says only 6 or so but i find that cant be right can it?
Mike Strietbeck

Post by Mike Strietbeck »

------
REMINGTON MODEL 1875 REVOLVER
MEXICAN GOVERNMENT CONTRACT

E. Remington & Sons of Ilion, New York, produced two variations of the Model 1875 Revolver. The “Mexican Contract” revolver was in the first batch of these in which the serial numbers ran from 1 to 15000. Of the approximately 30 Mexican Contract 1875 Revolvers examined by our members over the last 50 years, the following information is gleaned. Factory records on this contract are no longer in existence, but it is reported that 500-1000 were sold.

Serial numbers of the Mexican Contract 1875 Revolvers are from within the entire serial number range of the first production batch, and as such may fall anywhere within the 1-15000 range. Most but not all of the Mexican Contract 1875 Revolvers will bear the Egyptian Inspectors stamps on the barrel and frame. It is reported that this may be due to the fact that these revolvers were converted from revolvers that were originally intended to be shipped against the Egyptian contract but that were being held pending satisfaction of contract payment terms. If this is the case, that would explain the absence of any serial number markings on the cylinder, for the cylinder of the Egyptian was chambered in .44 Cal. so they would have been replaced. The replacement of the cylinder with one chambered in .45 Govt., required a modification to the frame to allow the slightly longer .45 Cal. Cylinder to seat. While no examples to date have been inspected that revealed the caliber marking on any of the metal parts, it is reported that the grips were originally stamped “45", but that most examples are well worn, explaining the absence.

The markings applied by the Mexican Government are rather inconsistent but all inspected to date bear the “Liberty Cap” inspection stamp which is usually found on the top of the barrel, approximately 3/4" in front of the frame. When present, the “R de M” inspection stamp will be located on the right side of the frame, in a lower front location, and at times on the side of the cylinder.

Remington factory applied three digit assembly numbers should be found in three locations. One each in the following locations; under the left grip, near the serial number,under the ejector housing on the barrel, and on the top side of the ejector housing. The later two will be visible when the ejector housing is removed.

The contract shipping date is estimated to have been in 1877 - 1878 and is arrived at by comparing the frame of the Mexican Contract 1875 Revolvers and noting that the bevel modification normally associated with second batch revolvers is present on these, indicating that they were manufactured after Remington adopted the .44 WCF as a standard for these revolvers.

With an estimated 500 - 1000 going to the Mexican contract, and more going to the commercial market, only a guess could put the total number at 1000 - 2000. The photo's you post show a revolver that has had extensive modifications doen to it after it left the factory. For a detailed report on the Model 1875, see the 1st Quarter 2004 issue of the Remington Society of America Journal, where Don Ware shares his decades of research with all of us, including the Mexican contract markings. Copies can be purchased by following the links on this web site.

Best Regards,

Mike Strietbeck
RemShots
--------------------------------------
Particular interest is in Revolving rifles, Cane rifles, hand guns, and all Remington knives. Conducting survey on revolving rifles, please request survey form.
dingus

Post by dingus »

Thanks Mike! :D I already sent and email to the Email addy at the RSA to buy that copy of the 1st Quater 2004 about the 1875s.

The fireing pin hole looks factory done as the other one is Round. If the other one was a Altered fireing pin hole in the frame i think the round parts would show.
By Alterations AFTER it left the Factory your talking about the Barrel being shortened and the web being removed im guessing?

But this is the gun i have. the cylinder is marked 45 lightly on its back and like i said is longer.

Now what to do with it :shock: I was gona rebarrel it and put a web back on it.

Maby i better put it away till i get more info. :mrgreen:

Mike heres a picture of the 45 Marking on the back of this guns cylinder