NEED HELP DATING .41 Rimfire O/U Derringer

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
jtefteller

NEED HELP DATING .41 Rimfire O/U Derringer

Post by jtefteller »

Howdy,

I am a lawyer in East Texas and I need yall's help identifying the year of manufacture of a .41 Rimfire O/U Derringer. My client is an elderly man who was pulled over 3 blocks away from his house for a traffic violation while moving from his old home to a new house he and his wife had recently purchased. Upon being asked by the police if he had any weapons he dutifully produced this old derringer and was promptly arrested for unlawful carrying of a weapon. If one of yall could point me in the direction of a person who could tell me when this gun was made it would be of great to help. Incidentally, I tried to post the pics of the gun I took but the file size was too large. I can email them however if anyone is interested. One note, there were no serial numbers anywhere on the gun that I could see although I was not allowed by the police to remove the grips.

Thanks for yall's help.
DavidFagan

Re: NEED HELP DATING .41 Rimfire O/U Derringer

Post by DavidFagan »

jtefteller wrote:Howdy,

I am a lawyer in East Texas and I need yall's help identifying the year of manufacture of a .41 Rimfire O/U Derringer. My client is an elderly man who was pulled over 3 blocks away from his house for a traffic violation while moving from his old home to a new house he and his wife had recently purchased. Upon being asked by the police if he had any weapons he dutifully produced this old derringer and was promptly arrested for unlawful carrying of a weapon. If one of yall could point me in the direction of a person who could tell me when this gun was made it would be of great to help. Incidentally, I tried to post the pics of the gun I took but the file size was too large. I can email them however if anyone is interested. One note, there were no serial numbers anywhere on the gun that I could see although I was not allowed by the police to remove the grips.

Thanks for yall's help.
I can help you date the derringer at least within manufacture dates and then based on the production numbers records we may or may not be able to identify it closer depending on the exact model / type which determines if it's a serial or batch no. Also if it's a later UMC is date stamped as well (and he's probably in trouble) The batch/serial no is under the barrel in front of the locking lug and visible of course only when opened and under the left grip. However depending on which model you may not matter if you know. The most important picture I need for this is the writing where-ever that maybe.

My email is fagan@fagansplace.com or click the service dog at the desk on the home page that will also come to me.
David.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer