Double Barrel Rolling Block Pistol

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Michael Smith

Double Barrel Rolling Block Pistol

Post by Michael Smith »

My uncle brought back after WWII a Brevet Remington Double Barreled rolling block pistol. The condition is very good with lots of blue and the stock is in very nice condition. The grip has a ring for a lanyard. I have been unable to find out any history on this pistol and what caliber it might be. I assume it must be a European cartridge. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Email me for any questions you might have.
DavidFagan

Re: Double Barrel Rolling Block Pistol

Post by DavidFagan »

Michael Smith wrote:My uncle brought back after WWII a Brevet Remington Double Barreled rolling block pistol. The condition is very good with lots of blue and the stock is in very nice condition. The grip has a ring for a lanyard. I have been unable to find out any history on this pistol and what caliber it might be. I assume it must be a European cartridge. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Email me for any questions you might have.
A double barrel rolling block?
Confused....

Picture?
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
ChuckD

Post by ChuckD »

E. Remington & Sons licensed E. & L. Nagant Brothers, in Belgium to manufacture their Rolling Block System firearms, circa 1881/94. It is estimated that 1,100 Double barrel Roling Block pistols were manufactured. The caliber is reported to be 9mm. However, I have no idea what cartridge it might use. The left side of the frame should be marked "Brevet Remington" and the right side "Brevet Nagant". There should also be Belgian proofmarks. This pistol has also been refered to as the "Russian Model".
Michael Smith

Post by Michael Smith »

ChuckD, Thank you for the information. I understand I can make a cast of the cartridge area and I will make a measurement of the barrel to see if it is 9MM. It does have the markings you mentioned in your email. You say this was referred to as the Russian model. Was this made for the Russians?
ChuckD

Post by ChuckD »

I got my information from an auction catalog where one was sold.
I would have to do more research to see if I can find who or where it was used.
I will post any additional information if I can find it
tjack

Post by tjack »

The cartridge your pistol is chambered for (if it is still original) is the 9mm Nagant which was the Belgian military cartridge. The "Russian" terminology was used by an American writer in a magazine called "Popular Guns" in Feb. 1972. It is incorrect; the Russians never used it. (Don't believe everything you read??). If you go to www.littlegun.be you will find some info on this pistol. This is a large site and I don't remember which part the rolling block pistol is in (probably "Nagant"). There is a 1985 "Gun Collector's Digest" 4th edition that has an article on Nagant pistols and the rolling block is touched on. I load mine using cut down .30-30 cases and an NEI bullet mold # 190.363. According to Jacob Brandt in his "Manual of Pistol and Revolver Cartridges" the 9mm Nagant has a rim dia. of .472"-.486"; base dia. of .423"-.429"; neck dia. of .389"-.401"; case length of .851"-.905". Bullet dia. is .364"-.374". The bullet weight was 184gr-189.8gr.
I don't get into the "pistol section" very often. If you have any other questions you want my input on, put something in the rifle pre 1898 section.