Brass framed Remingtons

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Rkid

Brass framed Remingtons

Post by Rkid »

I was wondering if anyone could help me clear up a question that I keep getting asked again and again. Did Remington ever use brass to make the frames for their guns in the American Civil War, if not did anybody copy their design and use brass for their frames. I was told Spiller and Burr did but cannot seem to find anything about it. The reason I am asking is that I have been told that the brass framed gun that Pietta call the Texas is a fabrication of their own.

I hope anyone can clear this up for me once and for all.

Thank you for your help. I look forward to your reply.
Wolfgang

Re: Brass framed Remingtons

Post by Wolfgang »

The Confederates made brass frame copies of Colt pistols but not of Remingtons. The Spiller & Burr is a Confederate pistol the is similar in design ( ie. top strap ) to the Remington. Pietta's "Texas" revolver is their own invention. One of them was the first black powder pistol I bought as it was available used and cheap when I was shopping for a first "western - black powder gun" to give black powder shooting a try. It was great and I then bought some steel frame ones. It was lonely so I bought it a partner ( another use brass framed one ). More at http://www.drburkholter.com/cf5.html if'n yur interested. Good shootin', . . . :)
Rkid

Post by Rkid »

Thank you for clearing the question up for me.

Your website is great reading.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Rkid, . . your welcome. Glad ya enjoyed the web site. Good shootin', . . . ( Remingtons of course ) . . . :)