Model 14/141, 12/121, etc. Tang Sight Plug Screws

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
nambujim

Model 14/141, 12/121, etc. Tang Sight Plug Screws

Post by nambujim »

Here is one little piece of what might be useless information but I keep getting calls asking me if I have any of these little buggers for sale/available.

When these guns were made Remington used some strange thread sizes including those for the "tang sight plug screws". There are those purists that insist on having originals but for almost 40 years I've been using 6X48's for attaching screws, they work perfectly. The plug screws however have been a problem because you need them to have a "positive stop" so it was best to find originals, those originals were usually buggered up all to hell.

Some years back I found a bunch of sellers on Ebay that sold factory original "positive stop" plug screws in 6X48 that were removed from Winchester Model 70/54 along with Remington Model 700's. Hate to give away any of my semi-worthless secrets but these work to perfection, a little more of a rounded head than the originals but look really nice. When these are installed they look like factory stuff and are a dramatic improvement over original beat up/buggered stuff that doesn't always thread.

Like I said, bunch of sellers on Ebay just search something like "6X48 plug screws" and you will probably get more hits than you can ever use, the sell for like $13 delivered for a pack of four (4).

If you found this info helpful, send me a gift certificate for McDonald's so I can go get a Sausage, Egg, & Cheese Biscuit some morning. Option #2 would be send me a check made out to the SCV (Sons of Confederate Veterans) so we can rebuild all the statues folks insist on tearing down. Regardless, I'll keep posting this type of crap until someone tells me to stop. My next posting will be about buying Model 14/141 trigger guards on auction sites.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Yesfora141

Re: Model 14/141, 12/121, etc. Tang Sight Plug Screws

Post by Yesfora141 »

Reference the Tang Sight Plug Screws for Remington models 14 and 141.
As previously stated the 6-48 screws may work.

I researched this issue many years ago and this is what I found out.

A 6-48 screw is not the screw to use as the tang sight plug screw. According to Remington a 6-40 screw should be used so the threads are not altered on the rifle. Here are the details on the screws to use.

The Remington part number is 97 for both the 14 and the 141.

Specifications are as follows:

The screw pitch/gauge is 6-40 with a slotted Fillister head screw with a flat point:
head diameter is .143
head thickness is .060
overall length is .147

This detailed information comes from Remington/through the Encyclopedia of modern firearms, parts and assembly, copy righted in the late 1950s.

I believe there may be businesses now making old gun screws to factory specifications.
Good Luck