1882/85 Remington-Lee

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
azjoe1445+

1882/85 Remington-Lee

Post by azjoe1445+ »

Hi all,

I have recently registered and I am hoping someone can give me some insight on a rifle I recently purchased. The noted rifle is a 1882/85 Remington-Lee Sn. 22949 chambered in .45-70/500. I know that it falls in the 200 serial number block of rifles built for Ordinance Department testing and I believe it was accepted by the Ordinance Department due to a VP US proof with a DFC cartouche forward of the receiver above the stock line on the left side of the barrel although there is no cartouche on the stock. Additionally, it is fitted with a 1873 rear sight with a R-L stamp on the left side of the sight. What is interesting and I haven't been able to find any clarification about is the magazine. It is a Lee Diss which shows four patent dates, measures 3.167" and has a two notch rib. I do know the Chinese magazines had two notches but were 3.375" and chambered for .43 Spanish.
Is this a rare rifle or an exceptionally rare one? Doing several searches, I have not found many of them available for purchase or otherwise and were US magazines made with two notches? I am waiting for delivery of the Eugene Myszkowski Book. I purchased the rifle from Joe Salter and there are several pictures of the rifle there.

Thanks for any help in answering these questions and in helping to determine how rare these rifles are, Joe