550-1 Date of Manufacture?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
kcm-MN

550-1 Date of Manufacture?

Post by kcm-MN »

Hello! I have a 550-1 that belonged to my maternal Grandmother. When she passed, it went to my parents. This was the first rifle I ever shot. Now I'm the last in the family and the gun is mine. Sadly it has not been fired or cleaned in decades. I'm correcting those issues now. :mrgreen:

I recently saw a video on Youtube that spoke of the date of manufacture. I have researched that every place I can, but I'm still an idiot when it comes to understanding these codes vs. what is on my barrel. Near as I can make out, there is a W and a G and the number 68. I'm pretty sure this is older than 1968. I would truly appreciate any help that may be given. Thanks in advance!!
Attachments
W  G  68.jpg
W G 68.jpg (255.95 KiB) Viewed 569 times
Remington Model 550-1  22  S., L., LR.jpg
Remington Model 550-1 22 S., L., LR.jpg (245.18 KiB) Viewed 569 times
600RemGuy

Re: 550-1 Date of Manufacture?

Post by 600RemGuy »

Made 41-71. G lines up with only 1960 during this period. W would stand for August
kcm-MN

Post by kcm-MN »

Thank you sir! Did not realize a reply had been made yet. Sure wish I could've had a more challenging question for you though. *lol*

This gun is 100% original and almost 100% intact. For some strange reason, the Receiver Plug Retainer was sitting inside loose, but no screw or washer for it. She will soon be complete again, though.

Appreciate your help!!

....One more question, if I may. Not sure how much time I have left on this rock (fighting a losing battle against cancer) and I have no more family other than my wife. She has no family also. Before my time comes, I'm going to want to see this gun go to a good home. I know nothing about buying or selling firearms, so how would you proceed to go about finding a good home?
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

Best wishes. I'm in Canada so I'm no real help. As this is more of an information site, unless someone interested spies this post, maybe search out a firearms friendly buy/sell in your area and hopefully you can come up with someone who would like what you have.
old tanker

Post by old tanker »

You have a fine rifle. One lives by the back door here loaded with CCI CB shorts to quietly dispatch pests around the garden and chicken coop.
dpg06va

Post by dpg06va »

Good for you bringing your family's 550-1 back into usable condition. I enjoy mine but as a firearms instructor I wish the bolt had a lock-open device to show visibly when in safe condition. As far as passing it on, it will require someone with a Federal Firearms License (FFL) to document the transfer. You could take it to a local gun shop and they may buy it outright or take it on consignment. A gun shop near me sells firearms on Gunbroker.com for a small commission so the item gets nationwide visibility. Meanwhile, enjoy knocking down those tin cans.