1889 12Ga steel barrels?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
gmoore2

1889 12Ga steel barrels?

Post by gmoore2 »

So, I bought this Remington 1889 12Ga recently and it really has me stumped. It is a grade 2 as stamped on the water table. All serial numbers match - 256223 and there is another 4 digit number 1283 on the forearm and receiver. Here is the odd thing, I am sure the barrels are steel and there is NO Remington markings on the barrel rib. There are the numbers 30 and 25 stamped on the left and right hooks (rear lugs). The barrel serial numbers look like they were stamped with the same stamps as the receiver and forearm. The barrels each have what look like little anchor proofs, then further down there is a diamond, a 1, and a B1. They are 30" mod and full. Overall the gun is beautiful with very nice case colors, excellent blue and wood. The checkering is still very sharp. The buttplate is original.

My questions are this:
1. Are the barrels original?
2. Has anyone ever seen barrels with no Remington stamp on the rib?
3. Has anyone ever heard of Remington replacing twist barrels with steel?
4. What is something like this worth?

I can take pictures of anything specific.

Thanks,

Gary
Ed Blake

Post by Ed Blake »

How do you know positively the barrels are fluid steel? Someone could easily have rubbed cold blue, or worse hot blued them. I've seen browned barrels which no twist/damascus pattern could be seen.
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

Yes your barrels are Remington numbered to the gun I can not tell if
they are steel or twist. I have serial number 2560xx they are not stamp.
(Remington Arms) Need more pictures of barrel than????maybe. can tell..
gmoore2

Post by gmoore2 »

Here is a closeup picture of the breech end.
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

Your barrels look like steel in the picture but thats is not always true can you show a picture of receiver water table?
Ed Blake

Post by Ed Blake »

That rib is not right. At the breech end the top of the rib should read "Remington Arms" Ilion, NY.
gmoore2

Post by gmoore2 »

2shooter:

Here is a pic of the water table.

Ed:

That's what I thought. That's why I'm asking about replacement barrels. The markings around the lugs look like other 1889's I've seen, but all had the 'E. Remington' or 'Remington Arms' stamps on the rib.
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

Sorry but that rib and barrels are right to the gun (receiver) Remington
did not stamp the rib on the last of 1889's only the lock plates.The receiver is stamped number 2 it is either miss stamped or the barrel are twist and have been cold blued and you can not see the twist..the serial
number on the receiver match same size, style to the barrels it is not different set barrels and restamped..
Ed Blake

Post by Ed Blake »

Thanks for clearing that up 2shooter. I did not know that the ribs were not stamped on the late guns. I think you're right, the barrels have been cold blued.
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

There is one other explanation if the barrels are steel and the receiver is
stamp 2 could have been sent back to Remington and rebarreled with steel barrels number to gun but the chance of the number size & style to match,not much.I have 1900 two barrel set number to gun you can tell it was sent back later 2nd set added you can see the difference in style..
gmoore2

Post by gmoore2 »

These barrels are by no means perfect, but they are not twist steel and they are not cold blued. There are a couple of spots where something got on the barrels and stripped the finish off and I see no evidence of twist steel. I took the 20x loop and looked them over pretty carefully also.

The rest of the gun is pretty nice too.

rudybolla

Re: 1889 12Ga steel barrels?

Post by rudybolla »

I am assuming that these barrels are what Remington referred to as "decarbonized steel?" I have a chance to pick one up in very good shape for a reasonable price. Are these safe to shoot with light smokeless trap loads or, preferably, black powder? thanks?