High number model 25

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
texrider

High number model 25

Post by texrider »

I have a model 25 32-20 serial number 34xxx with an October 1936 barrel that came from a pawn shop in San Antonio. I have read that there were only 33,000 or so model 25's made and was wondering how close to the end of production this rifle was and if there were potentially any issues related to rifles made at the end of production. The only problem I have found with the rifle is that the action needs to be pumped aggressively to load a round otherwise it tends to bind slightly and fail to load a round. The action works easily when it is pumped without rounds in the tube. The only ammunition i have tried in it is remington factory 100 grain lead flatnose
nambujim

Re: High number model 25

Post by nambujim »

My friend Tom Hemphill is the world authority on the Model 25 and maintains a data base with serials, I will let Tommy know about this posting and he can give you better info but no doubt yours is a very late rifle.

Tom can also give you some guidance on what ammunition to use whereas
I can tell you right up front if your rifle doesn't work perfectly you might have some real problems because parts are bloody impossible to find and most gunsmiths have never even seen a Model 25.

I will send Tom an email, have him read your posting, and hopefully give
you some guidance. OH............how about giving us the full serial so he can add it to the data base along with the barrel code.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
texrider

Post by texrider »

Thanks for the reply Jim, I will be fine with sending Tom the serial number and barrel code. I had read some of the earlier model 25 posts and so was aware of the database.

I was curious if anyone else had a 25 that the pump action was "sticky" on when loading a cartridge. I have fired the rifle with no problems but I have to get aggressive with the action to start the ejection process whether I am ejecting an empty or clearing a loaded round from the chamber. I have lubricated with remoil but haven't tried any type of grease on the action yet. I have reloaded some cast ww bullets over 4.5 grains unique, haven't shot any in the 25 yet but they work fine in my savage sporter.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

My opinion is that cast bullets are probably not helpful, even the best shave off slivers, and these actions will jam easily from one tiny piece of lead or even a grain of powder but Tom can address that with you. If you want to endear yourself to him, post the serial and barrel code so he has something to work with.

Tom has a lot of these rifles, a lot of experience, and if he can't help then nobody can. I work exclusively with the Model 14/141, messed with trying to take apart and fix 25's back in the 80's, and in short they are a bitch to work on with little in the way of parts available. It was a struggle just getting mine back together..........lol but true.

I have sent an email to Tom so you may hear from him within in a few days.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
texrider

Post by texrider »

Jim, thanks for letting Tom know about my questions, looking forward to hearing from him. Thanks for the warning about disassembling and reassembling, won't be breaking mine down on a whim.
Tom H

Post by Tom H »

Nambujim told me about your problem. First off, could you carefully check out that serial again. I list information on 790 model 25s on my database and the highest serial found so far is 32789. Your rifle was made EE, or October, 1936, and that looks like the last month of a quantity being made. Beyond that, I only list two in November and one made in December for 1936. I do list four of the 56 made in 1937 but all have serials before 32789. In fact, the earliest 1937 rifle is 292xx.
As to the hard working slide, I have not run into it on any of my 15 rifles and carbines so I don't know what to tell you on that.
Most of my 25s are 25-20s and I am very fond of shooting the 60 grain bullet in them, either the Remington hollow point or the Hornady flat nose. With the 32-20s I use the 100 grain jacketed with good results. I have loaded up some with 85 grain XTPs but have not got around to shooting them yet. You can email me at hemphill@gvtel.com if you wish........tom
NRA Benefactor Member
texrider

Post by texrider »

Tom, thanks for the reply
I'm positive on the serial number, will send a pic to your email.
Do you have any recommendations on lubricating the action on 25's?
I have a supply of both 85 and 100 gn xtp's, do you have a favorite load using them?

I had seen another post where someone had commented on the action of his 25 being sticky and was wondering if that was common, but apparently not.
treasons

Post by treasons »

Hello, I joined the forum to try to get some information on a model 25 (25-20) that has been in our family for a long time. It is a very high serial number (38336). I can’t find any date codes on the barrel. I called Remington historical dept. and they said that it was toward the end of production in 1937. Just wondering if anyone might have seen a 25 with this high of a serial number or have any other information on late production models. Thanks.
texrider

Post by texrider »

hey treasons, my 34xxx turned out to be a 32xxx, what I read as a 4 was a high struck 2, the top of the 2 didn't show. You might recheck your 8 and see if it isn't a 3. Barrel code on mine was on the bottom quarter on the left side just forward of the receiver, there were a couple of what I assume are proof marks between the code and the receiver.
treasons

Post by treasons »

Thanks for the response, yah I had thought about that, but it is a very clear and distinct 8 in the second digit not even close to the 3s on either side of it. Also when I had striped the gun down for cleaning the same serial number is stamped on the inside of the trigger group.
pcmacd

Post by pcmacd »

I've a model 25 mfg July 1929 I picked up at a Phoenix gun show a couple of years ago, just got around to shooting it. It has some blue (well what blue it has is rust colored, but not rust) and I paid too much for it, around $625 down from $750 or so.

Recently took it to the range as received, and had issues ejecting the last case. None of the others, only the last. Curious, indeed.

I'm not much of an offhand shot, but I put 5 ea 25-20s into a 1.5" vertical group at 50 yards. Not bad for dirty old gun, iron sights, with a sewer pipe for a barrel. (Handloads, Meister 85 grain bullets, AA1680, reformed 32-20 brass to 25-20.) My presbyopic eyes don't help, either.

Took it completely down except for the bolt. Cleaned it out with Ed's Red and soaked the bolt overnight. You would not believe the junk inside the receiver recesses. Spent powder and brass, which turned into a golden brown slurry. Blew it out. Oiled the parts. Reassemble.

And now it works great. Still working on getting carbon out of the barrel.