Model 95(?) Information

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
roginoz

Model 95(?) Information

Post by roginoz »

I'm new to the forum. Other than a couple of modern long guns (700 and an 870) I have a couple of earlier rifles: a Model 33 that belonged to my father, and a Model of 1917.

I recently purchased a what I believe is a Model 95 derringer. The rifling is good, the hinges are intact, and the gun appears to be functional. The top marking is "Remington Arms - U.M.C. Co, Ilion NY." The serial number is L95024; I don't see any other markings, although I haven't removed the grips. What I've found so far seems to indicate that this a later 4th model, 2nd variation, manufactured sometime between the 1920's and 1935. It's my understanding that ammunition is only available from collectors at this point, and I was able to purchase four rounds for display.

The information so far is a bit sketchy, and sometimes contradictory so I'd appreciate any information from those more familiar with this line.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Model 95(?) Information

Post by admin »

Dan probably has the serial list handy, I should post that.
Anyhow the date code is stamped under the barrel on lug.
aardq

Post by aardq »

Well, the DD info was handy, but it only contains a few of the serial numbers. You're correct that it is a 4th model, 2nd. variation. You're also right that it is a model 95. That is t he designation that Rem gave the DDs starting in 1922 when they adapted a shipping code. The L9x,xxx numbers indicate manufacture between 1922 and 1931 and that's about s close as we can get.

There should be two letters stamped on the bottom of the barrel lug. That is the shipping code for the month and year shipped. Unfortunately, the shipping date is not related to the manufacturing date, since a gun could sit on a shelf for a few years before being shipped.

Ammo, both old ammo and newer ammo made in the 1960s and 70s, is available at most gun shows, but its expensive, and why shoot one of these guns? Enjoy it for what it is.
Dan
roginoz

Post by roginoz »

Thanks for the information. I can't see anything on the bottom of the barrel lug, but it appears that there might be something on the right side of the lug. I'll try looking with some magnification and a bit more light. Is there a chart somewhere with the shipping date code? Shipping date isn't that important, but it would be interesting to know.
aardq

Post by aardq »

The Rem date code is based on the words: BLACK POWDER X for the months, B=Jan, L=Feb and so on with X=Dec. The second letter is the year and began in 1922 with the letter N representing 1922, P = 1923, R=1924, S=1926, and so on. Years later Rem would go to double letters, and then back to single letters. The letters I, O, and Q were not used.

Since the L9X,xxx numbers began in 1922, your gun should have the date code.
It should be on the bottom flat of the barrel lug, but some have it on one side of the barrel lug.
roginoz

Post by roginoz »

With a bit more light and a magnifying glass, I found the letters "EN" on the side of the barrel lug. Based on the information above, this indicates a 1922 shipping date. I'm not sure about the month (which is not all that important,) as the month letter sequence shown doesn't indicate which letters are skipped in the alphabetic sequence. Thanks for the information.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The BLACKPOWDERX is the sequence 12 letters and 12 months wasn't quite clear.
It's explained the manufacturing date link off the home page.
aardq

Post by aardq »

EN would indicate a shipping date of Oct., 1922.