NMA Serial number query

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Tight_Wad

NMA Serial number query

Post by Tight_Wad »

Hi

I purchased my first Remington NMA .44 recently and wondered if anyone could enlighten me regarding the serial numbers on the gun.

The barrel is stamped with a different number to that on the grip frame (although they are both in a similar range) but I understand this is not unusual with Remingtons.

Also, from reading previous posts, is the mark on the grip frame that looks like an upsidedown '1' a press mark applied by the factory?

Approximately what year was the gun manufactured.

I can't 100% make out the cartouche stamp on the left grip panel but it looks like it could be 'RH' or 'BH'. Which inspector could this be?

Hope the following photo's come through and can help.

Many thanks

Tight Wad :)

Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

Your gun has had the barrel changed by probably someone outside the factory, in my opinion. It is not a very common occurrence to have mismatched numbers. The factory didn't do this often and when they did they usually xxx out the old number on the barrel and re-stamped the correct frame number. The frame number indicates mid 1864 production and the same number should be found on the trigger guard tab when the TG is removed. The Cartouche is definitely BH ( Benjamin Hannis ). The 1 mark is from a clamping device to hold the frame down while the serial number is stamped, we believe. Jay Huber RSA
Tight_Wad

Post by Tight_Wad »

Thank you for the information.

I didn't mean to imply the barrel change was done by the factory, rather that mismatched serial numbers on Remingtons are not unknown.

I understand after the Civil War, many were rerturned to Militia units where they were likely refurbished. Since the frame and barrel numbers on my specimen are within 300 of each other, I'm hoping this might be the case with my gun.

According to Flayderman, mismatched numbers do affect values with Colt revolvers. IYO Is it the same with Remington, or less so? The serial number stamped into the tab of the brass trigger guard matches the frame number.

Once again, thanks for your help and advice

Tight Wad :?: