Whereabouts of Tom Frye's two Nylon 66s

mctcollector

Whereabouts of Tom Frye's two Nylon 66s

Post by mctcollector »

Hi, just joined your group this evening. I am trying to locate either of the two Nylon 66 rifles that exhibition shooter Tom Frye used in 1959 to break Topperwein's record for shooting wooden blocks (Frye shot at 100,010 and hit 100,004). Does anyone know if these are in museums or in private hands; might one or both be available for sale?
Wulfman

Re: Whereabouts of Tom Frye's two Nylon 66s

Post by Wulfman »

mctcollector wrote:Hi, just joined your group this evening. I am trying to locate either of the two Nylon 66 rifles that exhibition shooter Tom Frye used in 1959 to break Topperwein's record for shooting wooden blocks (Frye shot at 100,010 and hit 100,004). Does anyone know if these are in museums or in private hands; might one or both be available for sale?
Rat cheer! (right here) About 30 miles from where I live.

http://www.nylonrifles.com/wp/2013/02/t ... -nylon-66/

According to the article, there were actually three rifles and the other may be in the Remington museum.

Den

mctcollector

Post by mctcollector »

Den, thank you for your very informative reply. I am putting together a display of Tom Frye artifacts for a cartridge show and your post has given me much needed background information regarding the guns. Joe
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

mctcollector wrote:Den, thank you for your very informative reply. I am putting together a display of Tom Frye artifacts for a cartridge show and your post has given me much needed background information regarding the guns. Joe
Hi Joe.

Some other names from the Remington Society you may find helpful are the following:

John Gyde
Roy Marcot
ChuckD

If you'll notice, "ChuckD" was mentioned in that article I linked to.

John and Roy have written at least one book about Remington 22s in the past and are extremely knowledgeable about them.

Here's a link to the museum:

http://centerofthewest.org/

Den

mctcollector

Post by mctcollector »

Thank you again, Den. I will follow up on those leads. Just so you know, I collect anything having to do with miniature clay target shooting (MO-SKEET-O, Mossberg Targo, Sears Klay Shoot, Black Products Skeeter Trap, etc.). So, I am particularly interested in smoothbore .22s. My interest in the Nylon 66s stems from a chance encounter with Tom Frye when I was a boy. He signed one of those wooden blocks for me with a personal inscription. Years later I purchased one of his bullet silhouettes in the shape of an owl-way cool! -Joe