Choke size / barrel length 1894

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Wsmith

Re: Choke size / barrel length 1894

Post by Wsmith »

I have not measured the bore but did drop in our copper gauge and it showed the both be cylinder bore. It has a black rubber pad about one inch thick. I have not removed it to look at end of stock. Can not tell if it has been cut but see no indication. I see no indication of refinishing. Great looking stock but not to the point that i feel it has been refinished. This gun showed up in my son' s small town pawn shop. It will be for sale as soon as we can determine reasonable value.
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

Well that means the barrels have been cut. Too bad. Also it appears the butt stock has been cut. Does it still have the Neider point?

According to the Remington Double Shotguns book by Charles Semmer, he had tabulated 21 as of the publication date of 1996. Perhaps more have been reported since then.
Wsmith

Post by Wsmith »

What is Neider point? Not sure about the stock having been cut.
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

Well, in the first place it should be a Nieder point. Sorry about the error.

So what's a Nieder point (or widows peak)? Most butt plates are flat but a butt plate with a Nieder point has a v shaped projection into the wood at the top of the butt stock. Most all Remington Arms Co. doubles had this style except Model 1900's after about 1906 or so.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The stock looks bright and clean has it been refinished? Looks to bright and no marks.
Never been touched. Just the way it came out of an old estate on the Eastern Shore. I've displayed it at two or three Remington Society Seminars and once at the Nimrod Classic which was covered in the Remington Society Journal. The last time I spoke with Charles Semmer his count of D-Grades was in the low thirties with four 16-gauges and the rest 12-gauges.

Canvasback

Post by Canvasback »

Whoever cut those barrels should be hung by his thumbs! I'm not a fanatic for all original finishes but cutting the barrels unforgivable.

Beautiful gun nevertheless.
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

I have a C grade that Bachelder restored. It looks really nice, like yours - be nice if it was a D grade. You have a really nice gun. Remington chokes go in quite a ways - you may still have some, or quite a bit if it was a 26" barrel gun. Researcher, thanks for the photos. Paul