Model 722 advice

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Snapperone

Model 722 advice

Post by Snapperone »

Just purchased model 722 .300 savage in near pristine condition.
Serial looks like 29xxx (etched on inside of action- matching # scribed on the bolt). The barrel stamp say ATT- which I believe indicates march of 1948. Any ideas on the value of this rifle- it's a beautiful rifle regardless of what it's worth - def a keeper considering drilling and tapping for a scope but don't want to diminish the value if it's worth more than just a great shooter.
Thanks in advance.
Any input is appreciated.
John Gyde

Re: Model 722 advice

Post by John Gyde »

The general unofficial rule here is to not try to give values. There's too many variables; original sights?, bore condition?, etc. Check what a similar rifle is Selling for (not asking for) on the internet sites or get a Blue Book.
The Gamemaster

Post by The Gamemaster »

I have to agree with John, using a chat forum as an appraisal service degrades the validity of the site.

Realize this, when your rifle was new, it probably sold for about $50 - $65.00.
For an additional $15.00 - the buyer could have purchased a Model 70 Winchester.

While the Model 70 appreciated in value and became a collectors item.
The Model 721 /722 stood in the corner like a old hammer or pry bar.

Its worth is probably what you paid for it and nothing more.
There is no quick buck to be made or steal of a deal to be had with the Remington. The Remington's were designed to be cheaper then the Winchesters and were not collectors items - unless you had a one of a kind or special build rifle or extremely rare caliber.

It's human nature to want to believe that you snookered someone or found a priceless item in a deal between yourself and some unknowledgeable person such as a old woman or family member that knew nothing about guns. With the advent of the internet, even the dullest of pencils in the box will know about as much about any topic as you will. Before people buys and sells stuff they run to the internet to see how much it is worth. Ebay is usually the standard by which all sales are now measured.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

The best advice I think anyone can give you now is pay no attention to the reply above. John is correct on the value aspect, but the post by Gamemaster is completely asinine. The 722 is an excellent rifle. There will always be rifles that are worth more. Even worth more then a "Winchester". The 722 is a solid well built gun. Winchester just recieved more attention from the publicity they recieve on movies. Plus for every one Remington there are 10 Winchesters which make them easier to collect. Plus research on Winchesters are much easier. They are both great made rifles. Having no idea what you paid for it I m not going to attack your intelligence. Nor would I if I did. Its obvious you made a happy purchase. Post some pictures and we can give you better advice. I can garuntee you your rifle will increase in value and drilling and tapping will definitely hurt " Collectors Value". Sorry for the ill post above. Stuff like that degrades the validity of the forum. Glad to have you apart of it.

Billy Smith
Director
Remington Society of America
Snapperone

Post by Snapperone »

Thanks for the replies guys
I'm not trying to sell or make money
Just don't want to make a mistake on something - turn it into an "everyday hunting rifle" if there's more to it. Didn't know exactly what I had at the time of post but I know I really love the look and feel of this model. I may just go have it tapped to enjoy and use it more- I won't hunt it without optics.
Y'all have any idea what a drill/ tap runs at a good smith shop?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (100.36 KiB) Viewed 12153 times
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

Where does your 29xxx 722 300Sav A TT 3/48 fit in this list?

290xx 722-300 Savage, ATT, 3/48 (S/N in rail, the new lowest 722 s/n reported, see page 15)
297xx 722 300S C TT 4/48 (S/N in rail, no longer lowest 722 s/n reported See page 15)
308xx 722 300S C TT 4/48 (S/N in rail, no longer lowest 722 s/n reported See page 6)

Can we have another digit in the serial number?
Right now 290xx is the earliest 722 on our list. My 297xx had the lead for a few days.

If yours is not tapped in the rear, I would not tap such and early gun especially if it's condition is good and solid. Mine is tapped and I wish it was not.
CMP Pistol Distinguished
NRA Bullseye Outdoor Master
NRA Benefactor Life member
Snapperone

Post by Snapperone »

Cool!
2903x serial # inside rail
Number scribed on bolt matches
It's in exceptional condition
Very clean- no rust- no wear
Looks like it has been fired very little
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

Thanks.

Now if we can get ffemt_123 to break the tie for earliest 722
CMP Pistol Distinguished
EQ Guy

Post by EQ Guy »

I have 722 SN 2556X that started out life as a 300 Savage but it had been converted to 308 before I purchased it. The SN is inside the bolt raceway. I have since installed a modern 700 Varmint barrel in 308 on it and a 700 BDL stock and used it to shoot high power silhouette.
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

EQ guy
do you by chance still have the 300Sav/308 barrel? If so can you give us the date code?
CMP Pistol Distinguished
EQ Guy

Post by EQ Guy »

Rem725
The date code is LTT. I also have a 721 in 300 H&H and another 722 in .222 Remington.
old732Ord

Post by old732Ord »

I bought my 722 (300 Sav) new in 1951, or 52 - paid 15.00 and an old Win 94. The serial number is 61094 - it came drilled & tapped for scope mounts. Not many rounds through it, perhaps 120 or so. A really great rifle.
Ron
jhenryscott

Post by jhenryscott »

I just purchased a 722 in 300S, serial number inside the rail is 2535*, I am not sure when it was manufactured, but
from looking on this site it is a fairly early Remington, earlier than most of the ones that I have seen.

The rifle is in very good shape, not tapped for scope on rear ring, there is a recoil pad that someone put on it, looks
to be fairly old, but in good shape. Front and rear sights are in place, when I removed the stock it was apparent
that it had not been cleaned, but the bore is clear and bright, no rust or pitting of any kind. It was delivered with
old military style sling, and old style swivels.

All in all a great looking rifle. It came out of a gun shop in Oregon (that is actually where I am from).

If anyone has any info on manufacture date or best hunting loads (whitetail/blacktail) that would also be appreciated.
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

Your 2535x 722 300Savage appears to be the oldest yet on our serial number list
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=410&p=854#p854

It sits between two rifles dated 11/47 and 2/48, I have one of the 300S on the list dated 4/48
Soft point bullets are adequate for Whitetail/Blacktail Remington Core-Lokt for example.
What part of Oregun you from? I am near Eugene.
CMP Pistol Distinguished
jhenryscott

Post by jhenryscott »

I was raised in the small town of Prospect, halfway between Medford and Crater Lake.

Beautiful area to grow up in, hunted and fished all my life.

I have three 722's, a .257 Roberts, a 244 and the latest the 300 Savage. Would like to find a reasonable 308, but the prices are out of my price range.

Getting ready to watch the Ducks play Washington,
have a great day.
john