1894 trap grade

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
onausable

1894 trap grade

Post by onausable »

I'm new to this forum and looking forward to learning more about Remington sxs shotguns. For starters, my local shop has an 1894 trap grade with ordinance steel barrels that has my attention. Much of the blueing on the barrels is gone at the breach end. No doubt carry wear. Bores are lightly pitted. What finish should the receiver have on it? At present it looks as though someone blued the receiver but much of the blueing has worn off I suspect due to carry wear. What's a fair price? I need to go back when I have more time and check serial number, barrel fit, chamber length, chokes, barrel length and a few other things. Also is there any peculiarities I need to check for.
RemRB

Post by RemRB »

Most all 1894 Trap guns are engraved on the barrel top "Trap Gun F Grade" "Remington Arms Company Ilion NY". And they were not Ordnance steel barrels, they were Remington steel barrels. I have only seen one FE Trap gun with Ordnance steel. If this gun is another, then the word "Ordnance" must be engraved on the barrels. Receiver was color case hardened and lite scroll engraved. Usual chokes were full or modified. Check the "Blue Book" for value.