Old Model 11-A

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
ddorrough

Old Model 11-A

Post by ddorrough »

I recently inherited a Model 11-A 12 gauge. The gun appears to be in good mechanical shape, except for a cracked stock. Most of the bluing is gone, but the gun isn’t rusty. The serial number is 24547. Any information on this gun would be greatly appreciated, especially date of manufacture and the ability to use modern ammo. I didn’t see any date code on the barrel, only what appears to be an RTP on the right side. I’m trying to decide whether to restore it for regular use or to make it a safe queen and leave it alone.

Thanks in advance
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

Yours is a very early gun made in 1906 the second year of production. In fact it was called Remingtons Automatic Shotgun and had not yet been named the Model 11. As to shooting it I can't voice an opinion on that. Take it to a competent Gunsmith and have him evaluate it. Jay Huber RSA
ddorrough

Post by ddorrough »

Jay, Thanks for the information. The barrel is actually marked Model 11-A and Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co., along with various Browning patent information. I plan to have it checked out only if I decide to restore and shoot it. My biggest concern is with shooting modern ammo. I've got a late 1800's double barrel 12 gauge and I was told never to shoot modern ammo in it as it would damage the gun and/or me. Even in perfect condition, is this 1906 gun capable of handling 2006 ammo?

Thanks again for the information.
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

I have never had any trouble shooting modern ammo in my 11's or 1900. I stay away from heavy loads though. Also the 1900 has to have steel barrels, not Damascus and both guns must have excellent barrels. JAY
ddorrough

Post by ddorrough »

Jay - Again, thanks for the information. I will take it to a gunsmith and have him check the quality of the barrel. If it checks out alright, I think I'll restore it and use it. Although some may not like the humpback design, I think it, along with the Browning A-5, is a very attractive gun.

I appreciate the help.
Jay Huber
Site Admin

model 11

Post by Jay Huber »

I too like the model 11 and have a 16ga. with two barrels and really enjoy shooting it. Good luck with your restoration. May I suggest you watch EBAY under REMINGTON GUN PARTS. I have seen many part for this gun on this site including original stocks. You will have to watch in that it seems to me that there is a difference in the early stocks and the later ones. I restored one once and found this to be the case in buying Repro stocks as I remember. Regards Jay
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

Look at number 320042061213 on EBAY for a not to bad stock. Jay
ddorrough

Post by ddorrough »

Jay - I also have a 16, only in the Browning A-5 Sweet Sixteen variety. It was made in 1963, so in addition to it being a different gauge, it's much newer as well. It's a very nice gun and I can envision the Model 11 being just as nice. I can see differences in the guns, but I'm not familiar enough with the history to determine if it's an age or a gauge issue. The Browning is also Belgium made, so that might make a difference as well. Since I'm not a gunsmith, I'll let the pros handle the metal parts. I am though, looking forward to restoring the stock and forend myself. I'm no woodworking expert, but I've been pleased with my previous projects. It's a lot of work, but well worth it in the end.

I will check out eBay and see what I can find.

Thanks again for all the information and help.
Yankee John

Post by Yankee John »

It is interesting that you say the barrel is marked with both Remington and UMC.

Remove the barrel from the frame and see what serial number is stamped on the barrel ring that rides over the magazine tube. I bet that it doesn't match the reciever number- The barrel sounds like a replacement.

The reason I say so is that Remington and UMC combined in 1912; The UMC logo would not have appeared on a 1906-dated pre-Model 11.

I own a 1912-dated Model 11 with the Remington-UMC logos on both the barrel and trigger guard (numbers-matching).

Not a big deal, but I just thought you'd like to know!

John
Yankee John

Post by Yankee John »

double post- Sorry!
ddorrough

Post by ddorrough »

John - I appreciate the information. I checked the barrel and the numbers do not match. The receiver is stamped 24547 and the barrel is stamped 21165, with D136 stamped below that. I had never noticed the different numbers before. It was one of my dad's guns, but where he got it or what changes he made to it I don't know. I know the history of most of the guns, like the Remington 03-A3 he purchased from Army surplus for $16, but he never talked much about this gun, so it's a mystery.

Thanks again for the information.
Yankee John

Post by Yankee John »

Thought so. But.....

Is there a (1) digit in front of the barrel serial number? My M11 is serial numbered 1305XX. A call to the Remington Historical Dept. told me that it was made in 1912.

If your barrel has a "1" in front of the serial you gave, that would mean your barrel was made before mine.

John

P.S. Remington Auto/Model 11 production started at serial number 10,000. FYI
ddorrough

Post by ddorrough »

John - I checked again, but there is no 1 in front of the serial number. Also, I noticed on your post that your serial number is 6 digits, both barrel and receiver serial numbers on mine are 5 digit. If the serial numbers are sequential, it appears that my barrel is older than the gun. And if Remington production started at serial number 10,000 then it appears that both barrel and gun are very early models.

Very interesting.