Remington 700 date, please

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
RemRB

Remington 700 date, please

Post by RemRB »

On this Remington 700 the code number stamps on the barrel are. First is a small square like stamp, then XY R. By the Remington charts I think it dates the rifle 1950-51, but I am not sure. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Wulfman

Re: Remington 700 date, please

Post by Wulfman »

RemRB wrote:On this Remington 700 the code number stamps on the barrel are. First is a small square like stamp, then XY R. By the Remington charts I think it dates the rifle 1950-51, but I am not sure. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Logically, it could not be 1950-51 because the Model 700 wasn't created/sold until 1962.

I'm going to say that it was December of 1974 based on those letters. It would also be of benefit to see pictures or read a description of the stock (also whether it's an ADL or BDL), but stocks can be changed.
If it's a BDL, prior to 1974 they used impressed checkering with a scroll-type pattern. In 1974, they started using straight-cut machine checkering on the BDLs and in the late 70s, they started using a skip-line machine-cut checkering pattern.

Den

RemRB

Re: Remington 700 date, please

Post by RemRB »

This might be a duplicate message, but thank you Den. Your description of the stocks fit this rifle exactly as a BDL. It has the straight-cut machine checkering on both the forend and pistol grip area.