Model - not sure

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
nrewing

Model - not sure

Post by nrewing »

My dad has the following 12 gauge, hammerless double barrel, without automatic ejectors, ordinance steel:
Patent Oct 30, 94
serial #371xxx
He had believed this was a Model 1894 due to the patent date, but the serial numbers don't match based on info I got from the Remington web site. Can anyone give us more info on this shotgun?
Thanks, Nancy
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

Based on your serial number you have a Model 1900 made in 1907. I have never seen one with Ordnance Steel barrels. This is the strongest barrel Remington made. Your gun should have a snap on fore arm. If it were a 94 it would have a push button release forearm. Jay Huber RSA
nrewing

Post by nrewing »

Jay - thanks for info; Dad has since told me there is a "Q" before the serial number. Where can I get him a parts list for this gun? He has taken it apart and tried to relate the following to me: "firing pins are hitting ejectors(?)" firing pin springs are broken or deteriorated". At 87 years of age, he is very handy with his firearms and is getting this shotgun (belonged to his dad) ready to give to my son:)
Would Semmer's book be helpful to him?
nancy
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

Q is also a correct Model number for a 1900 model. Semmer's book would be most helpful. The firing pins don't have springs, they usually are free floating and some do hit the ejector to force them away from the shells on closing the barrel. Ejectors are some times cot out to accept them. Jay
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Up until about 1906 the Remington Model 1894s and 1900s had their firing pins integral with the hammers like Parker Bros. or Ansley H. Fox doubles. All the Remington Arms Co. catalogues through 1906 show a cut away of this design and a parts list to go with it. The 1908 and 1908-09 catalogues show the later design with the floating firing pins. Keep watching ebay and you might find an old Remington catalogue come up for auction. You might also find the catalogue going for as much as the gun!!