creedmore match

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
jack

creedmore match

Post by jack »

Does anyone have any info. on creedmore match history such as guns used and shooters names?
RoyMarcot

Reply to Jack re: Creedmoor Match info...

Post by RoyMarcot »

Dear Jack,

I have about 12 linear inches of material on the Creedmoor Range on Long Island (1870s-'80s) and specifics of the use of Remington rolling block target rifles. I authored an in-depth article on the subject for the American Rifleman about a year ago.

The wealth of material will go into Volume I of my three volume set of books about "Remington Rolling Block Rifles, Carbines & Shotguns" which is being worked on.

Other than what appeared in my NRA magazine article, what can I answer for you specifically?

Roy Marcot
Remington Historian
jack

Creedmore

Post by jack »

Roy,

I own one of these Remington rifles so I was wondering if it was ever used in the matches? I was wondering if any information existed on serial numbers of the rifles used in the matches along with shooters names?

jack
Roy_Marcot

Creedmoor Rifles

Post by Roy_Marcot »

Dear Jack,

Unfortunately, E. Remington & Sons serial number records no longer exist, having been destroyed around 1890, shortly after Hartley & Graham acquired the company.

Any in all the materials I have on Creedmoor... not one mention about the serial number of any shooter.

We now believe that E. Remington & Sons manufactured about five-hundred (500) No.1 Creedmoor Long-Range rifles between 1873 and 1886. Long-range shooting was popular throughout the civilized United States during this period, as evidenced by numerous reports in periodicals such as Forest & Stream, the Army & Navy Journal, The Rifle, etc.

Email me your rifle's serial number and the caliber marking under the barrel and the multi-digit assembly number on the left side of the tangs (visible only with the stock removed)... and I may be able to date the manufacture of your rifle.

I hope this information has been of interest.

Roy Marcot
Remington Historian
roymarcot@msn.com