Smoot No. 2 remove cylinder help

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
NorthernVA

Smoot No. 2 remove cylinder help

Post by NorthernVA »

Hello,

I am trying to remove the cylinder on my Smoot No. 2 but I can't figure out the procedure. I was able to slide the pin to get the ejector rod and spring out, but I don't know what to do next.

Also, I am alittle confused about the rotating shield ( and if I have that model or the fixed model). My smoot has a shield that looks like it is attached to the fame via a screw on the bottom. Is this the fixed shield model? I can't find a serial number yet, most likely because I can't remove the cylinder.

Thanks!!
shadrack

Re: Smoot No. 2 remove cylinder help

Post by shadrack »

Hello, There should be a guide for the ejector rod which is also attached to the cylinder pin and used to pull it out. These are sometimes broken off and if so you should be able to push the cylinder pin out from the rear. Yes, the recoil shield is screwed to the frame except on the very first ones.
NorthernVA

Post by NorthernVA »

Thanks, I was able to get the cylinder out.

So because my recoil shield is screwed I'm assuming that it is considered the fixed version? Did the rotating version just rotate around the cylinder pin?
shadrack

Post by shadrack »

Glad you go it apart. To the best of my knowledge the recoil shield revolves with the cylinder. I have owned many first,second, and third models but haven't had the pleasure of owning a first model first issue.
NorthernVA

Post by NorthernVA »

shadrack wrote:Glad you go it apart. To the best of my knowledge the recoil shield revolves with the cylinder. I have owned many first,second, and third models but haven't had the pleasure of owning a first model first issue.

That makes sense to me. Thanks for the help!! I have been searching online for a new cylinder pin. The loop that guides the ejector rod is broken off. If anyone knows of a website that sells smoot parts, please make a posting.
shadrack

Post by shadrack »

Best way I've found to get smoot parts is buy clunkers and scavenge the part you need and sell the rest. Watch Gunbroker, they come up often. You can usually buy one for a $100-150, get the part you need and sell the rest for what you paid for it.
NorthernVA

Post by NorthernVA »

With that being said, if anyone has any old clunkers with a cylinder pin they are not using, PM me.
aardq

Post by aardq »

The revolving recoil shield is really mis-named because it doesn't revolve. Instead it swings upward to open and allow loading by uncovering the chambers. It has a checkered area to help in swinging it up. The none rotating shield has nothing to block the rear of the chambers because the chambers don't align with the opening in normal carry.

Dan
CALIBRE44

Post by CALIBRE44 »

aardq is correct the revolving shield doesnot revolve but moves up and down for loading and firing...Revolving shield models are found with low serial numbers usualy under 400. Although, the exact number is not known because Remington started the fixed shield models, some fixed shields were found with numbers mixed in the revolving shield range..See pictures...Jim