Dug up 1861 Remington Army Revolver in Richmond Area

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
NorthernVA

Dug up 1861 Remington Army Revolver in Richmond Area

Post by NorthernVA »

I am trying to find out more information about a civil war relic that I recently acquired. A large collection of civil war memorabilia was given to my wife. The gun in question is a 1861 Remington Army Revolver. I believe it was dug by her great grandfather. He lived in the Richmond Virginia area. The only markings left on the firearm is a small "A" in the brass. The gun is rusted frozen in the cocked position. I also believe the gun may still be loaded. Amazingly the grips are still together. I wish this gun could talk. Please see the pictures below and tell me what you guys think.

Do you guys recommend any special type of storage protocol? Also, is there a chance this thing is dangerous? I'm thinking about selling it, but I am unsure at the moment. Below are some pics:

shadrack

Re: Dug up 1861 Remington Army Revolver in Richmond Area

Post by shadrack »

Hello. First of all it appears to be an 1858 New Model. Second, DO NOT try to clean it. It took a hundred-fifty years to get that way, leave it alone. First thing somebody does wrong is think "I can clean this up and make it work". Does it appear to be .44 or.36 caliber? That would determine if it is an army or Navy model. The A on the trigger guard is an inspectors mark. Almost all the New Models were military issue. If it is still loaded you should be able to see the balls in the chambers. These loaded dugups are normally safe as the powder deterioates from age and moisture. Did the digger write down where he found it? If it is for sale I would be interested.
NorthernVA

Post by NorthernVA »

shadrack wrote:Hello. First of all it appears to be an 1858 New Model. Second, DO NOT try to clean it. It took a hundred-fifty years to get that way, leave it alone. First thing somebody does wrong is think "I can clean this up and make it work". Does it appear to be .44 or.36 caliber? That would determine if it is an army or Navy model. The A on the trigger guard is an inspectors mark. Almost all the New Models were military issue. If it is still loaded you should be able to see the balls in the chambers. These loaded dugups are normally safe as the powder deterioates from age and moisture. Did the digger write down where he found it? If it is for sale I would be interested.

PM sent
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

I may be an interested backup buyer...

Tyler