Model 700 Date of Manufacture

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
1deu

Model 700 Date of Manufacture

Post by 1deu »

I think I'm missing something on the "How to Date" chart. I have a virtually new Model 700, 7mm Rem Mag. SN is B6742053. The chart has me confused. Can someone help figure this out?
Thanks for your attention.
Wulfman

Re: Model 700 Date of Manufacture

Post by Wulfman »

1deu wrote:I think I'm missing something on the "How to Date" chart. I have a virtually new Model 700, 7mm Rem Mag. SN is B6742053. The chart has me confused. Can someone help figure this out?
Thanks for your attention.
What seems to be the problem? The "B" prefix in the serial number indicates it was made in the first half of the 1980s......so, it's not "new" (although it may be in really good condition). The date codes on the left side of the barrel will tell you more precisely which month and year it was made.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/que ... arrelcodes

Den
Rocky Bleier

Post by Rocky Bleier »

I just bought a 700 bdl. The serial number on the barrel (barrel code) is D6227819. It looks like new. Am I correct in assuming it was manufactured in 1983 or 2009?
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

Rocky Bleier wrote:I just bought a 700 bdl. The serial number on the barrel (barrel code) is D6227819. It looks like new. Am I correct in assuming it was manufactured in 1983 or 2009?
The serial number you listed (D6227819) is not the barrel date code. The serial number is on the action and the barrel date code is on the barrel.

Here is the link to the barrel date codes.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/que ... arrelcodes

However, with the prefix letter of "D" on the serial number, it would not be 1983. A Model 700 made in 1983 would most certainly have a "B" prefix to the serial number........in the late 1970s it was an "A" prefix.......in the early 1980s it was a "B" prefix.......and in the late 1980s it was a "C" prefix. It's possible that yours is from the early 1990s. They seemed to change/increment letter prefixes on the serial numbers about ever five years.

Den
Rocky Bleier

Post by Rocky Bleier »

You're correct, it is on the action. Do you know of a link to serial number dates? I trust your knowledge, but would still be interested in seeing a "list."
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

Rocky Bleier wrote:You're correct, it is on the action. Do you know of a link to serial number dates? I trust your knowledge, but would still be interested in seeing a "list."
No, I do not. I've never seen one or seen a reference to any that may exist. The barrel date codes are the most accurate to determine when they were made. I've personally seen and others have reported that actions can lay around for some years before having barrels attached. For an example, I have a Model 700 BDL in 7mm Exp. Rem. (their idiotic attempt to reintroduce the .280 Remington with a different designation) with a barrel date code of January of 1980 (consistent with the sales date range of that caliber), but the serial number (A3201XXX) is lower than a Model 700 with a barrel date code of March 1978 and serial number of A6589XXX that I have. So, obviously, that action had been made years earlier than when it had the barrel attached and finished.
So, in summary, my personal belief is that the serial numbers are kind of meaningless in relation to the process of dating them. The letter prefix is somewhat helpful in at least coming up with about a 5-year range of manufacturing dates.

PS. I hope you don't mind if I ask and of course you don't have to answer, but I'm curious as to whether you're THE "Rocky Bleier".......the former player for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Den
Rocky Bleier

Post by Rocky Bleier »

No, just a lifelong Steelers' fan who grew up in Detroit and gave up on the Lions. :oops: The only numbers I see on the barrel are just forward of the serial number - they are: xp10.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

Rocky Bleier wrote:No, just a lifelong Steelers' fan who grew up in Detroit and gave up on the Lions. :oops: The only numbers I see on the barrel are just forward of the serial number - they are: xp10.
The date code of "X P" translates to December of 1995.......which puts it within the probable range for the "D" serial number prefix (early 1990s). So, I feel comfortable with saying that I believe that's when it was made.

Enjoy your gun.

Den
Rocky Bleier

Post by Rocky Bleier »

Thanks a lot!
1bailey

Post by 1bailey »

Looking for help decoding mfg. dates for two Model 700's.

1) 30-06 "C" SN prefix with an "N" barrel code.

2) 7mm mag "B" SN prefix with a "D" barrel code.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1bailey wrote:Looking for help decoding mfg. dates for two Model 700's.

1) 30-06 "C" SN prefix with an "N" barrel code.

2) 7mm mag "B" SN prefix with a "D" barrel code.

2) A B prefix with D - 1983 makes sense.
But
1) A C prefix with N not so much to me anyhow ( C should be late 80's) not 93.
1bailey

Post by 1bailey »

Thanks so much. That's what I thought on the 7mag. The '06 is strange though. The barrel stamp code is a strange looking "N." and not letter designating the month. The "N" looks a little strange; almost like a "Z" rotated. Next to the "N" (left of it) is a symbol that looks like a "C" with a line next to it.

On the date table, why are there multiple years for the same letter? Which one do you use?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sometimes you have to look at the dates of manufacture for the firearm and match them up and in some cases you just have to guess based on a high or low number, perfection it is not..
1bailey

Post by 1bailey »

Interesting. I wonder why they bother at all if it's not going to be accurate. Anyways, thanks again.
phill621

Post by phill621 »

I just got a custom rem 700 made for me. It has a custom barrel on it so there are no markings on it. An older rem 700 action was used an only has a six digit serial number. (362810). From what I am understanding the number on the action is the serial number and the number that would have been on the original barrel would have the date code number. Can anyone help me fund out what it originally was and when it was made?