Remington No. 1 rolling block chambering

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
almagest

Remington No. 1 rolling block chambering

Post by almagest »

Hello Remington collectors. I have a question regarding a No. 1 Remington rolling block
sporting rifle I recently aquired. It is a standard rifle, 24" full oct. bbl. On the bottom
of the bbl. just ahead of the forearm is stamped "38-55". I slipped a 38-55 round in the chamber and it fit. The bbl. serial matches the frame and the the chamber and bore appear original. In Roy Marcot's book he lists many chamberings for the No. 1 rolling block, but not the 38-55. My questions are. Is this a legitimate chambering for the No.1 sporter? If so,
shouldn't it be listed as a chambering for this model? Thoughts appreciated.
Hamp
Yellowhouse

Re: Remington No. 1 rolling block chambering

Post by Yellowhouse »

The #5 sporter was chambered in 38-55 but I never heard of a #1 but who knows. Lets start with:

What are the markings on the barrel? Does it have 5 lands and grooves?

Know that there are smiths who can duplicate all the above.
almagest

Post by almagest »

To answer above reply:
With the help of a friend I slugged the bore. There are 6 lands and grooves
Lands .381 inches, grooves .372 inches.
Stamping on top of Barrel: "E. Remington & Sons, Ilion, N.Y."
Additionally we found in Barnes book CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD that the 38-50 Remington
cartridge is virtually identical to the 38-55 Winchester/Ballard. Both cartridges will chamber
nicely in the gun. Our theory is that the gun was originally barrel stamped only "38" and when the 38-50 Remington became obsolete and discontinued (which it did early on) the "-55" was professionally added to the barrel stamp in the same size and style of number.
Any additional comments??
Hamp
LeonD

Post by LeonD »

Good afternoon,
I am very happy to have found this site,I have just recently aquierd two #1s one is a shotgun with remington markings on the tang, I was told 16ga brass or 20 ga paper/plastic. The other is a rifle that I can not see any markings on I was told it is an Egiptsin 50/70 but when talking to the gunsmith today he told me he could not put a 45/70 case into the chamer[even part way].He further told me the bore is 435.I am wonder what caliber this might be as I hope to be able to shoot both in time.
Any information I can get as far as safe loads for the shot gun and and caliber and loads for the rifle will be greatly apresiated.
Leon
rudybolla

Post by rudybolla »

The Egyptian rifle is .43 Egyptian. I understand this is a fussy round to reload for, but have never tried myself.
LeonD

Post by LeonD »

rudybolla wrote:The Egyptian rifle is .43 Egyptian. I understand this is a fussy round to reload for, but have never tried myself.
Thank you for that info,I am thinking that one will be a wall hanger,To day I had some time on my hands while other where busy lol.I found a # 1-1/2 stamped usny in 50/70 and also a 22 with 1902 stamped on the barrel[military] so I am still feeling good about this new to me adventure of colecting some american history.
LeonD

Post by LeonD »

I have found some numbers on the trigger frame, G7 32 92 I am wondering if they will help further identify the #1 ROLLING BLOCK, all the threads are metric. As it turns out the threads are not metric they are the standard thread used by remington at the time, or at least I think that is the case. The same screws from the USNY 50/70 fit the action I thought was metric, and with a little further cleaning I can read on the tang [REMINGTON ILION NY USA ALONG WITH THE PATENT DATES OF APR NOV] or was that present on all of the rolling blocks even the ones maufactuerd over seas.
On the #1 1/2 50/70 I have found "USNY"on the stock, the letter b on the action ,also the letter S on the barrel. Does the S mean it is a Savage barrel?
The 22 short/long has military marked on the side with 4184 in the stock. Can anyone tell me if the numbers are the serial number or do they stand for someting else? It also has 46 engraved into the stock. I am wondering if the sight on the 22 is bent or is that the way it is suposed to look?
Attachments
sight.jpg
sight.jpg (28.25 KiB) Viewed 7069 times
Last edited by LeonD on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vulture

Post by vulture »

I don't know if the 43 Egyptian is difficult to load or not, but you can probably find all the reloading slupplies to get started at Buffalo Arms. They have a lot of brass for obsolete cartridges and some cast slugs as well. The difficult part will be rounding up a set of reloading dies. I don't think Lyman or Lee make any for this round so they will probably cost a pretty penny. I have a couple of these old rifles but mine are chambered in the 43 Spanish, which is easier to find reloading dies as Lee sells them and they are not that expensive. Is there any chance that is what you have? It is fairly easy to tell the two models apart as the rear sights and different and the outer rim of the muzzle is shapped a bit different as well.
LeonD

Post by LeonD »

After cleaning the reciver up in an oil bath I can not find the cresent moon and /or ep on the left hand side of it.I have miked the chamber, .515 and the bore is .438-.440. I am wondering if this may be remington-hepburn 38-40.