31 -T and 31-TC Shotgun

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
twoatlow8

31 -T and 31-TC Shotgun

Post by twoatlow8 »

I have two Model 31 shotguns, I would like to know when they were made.
One is a 31-T Serial# 6421, BA is stamped by the serial number on the left side of the barrel this has a 30" Vent rib barrel with a pistol grip stock with a Hawkins pad.
The other is a 31-TC # 9040 This also has a 30" barrel with a vent rib, but it has a straight grip stock to a Hawkins pad.
I can not find a straight grip mentioned in the brochure I have on Trap and Skeet equipment, however it looks original.
My catalog also mentions a "Rush Razee" Forend. My 31-T has a short checkered forend and my 31-TC has a long checkered forend. Which one is the "Rush Razee" forend? I posted a picture of my 31-TC.
Thanks, Scott
Attachments
31-TC Stright Stock
31-TC Stright Stock
0102fapump_sm.jpg (21.84 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
Researcher

Re: 31 -T and 31-TC Shotgun

Post by Researcher »

The barrel date code, BA is January (B), 1932 (A). According to the old factory ledger, the receiver with serial number 6421, was in production during the second week of October 1931. 9040 would have been in production in late February or early March 1932. IMO there is no real difference between guns marked just T and those marked TC, just a matter of time frame as how they were marked. Most all of my Model 31TC catalogue listings and brochures show the option of a straight grip, and the Hawkins recoil pad was standard.

This brochure shows the Razee forearm --

There were two versions of Model 31TC beavertail forearms the "Razee" and the "Extension". The "Extension" extends about 1 3/4 inches farther to the rear. I don't have a picture of an "Extension" in my Photobucket file. It appears your straight grip gun has the "Extension" forearm. Would love to see some bigger better pictures of that straight grip Model 31TC.
twoatlow8

Re: 31 -T and 31-TC Shotgun

Post by twoatlow8 »

Thank you for the help. I believe I know you from the A.H.Fox site. I would love to send better pictures of the straight grip 31-TC, I thought I won it in a local auction yesterday. The high bid on the live auction closed less than my absentee bid, however they told me they made a mistake with the on line bid reporting and I did not get the gun. :x
I do however own the 31-T with the Razee forearm!