Need a model 14 firing pin

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
gastrap

Need a model 14 firing pin

Post by gastrap »

I need a model 14 firing pin. Anyone out there got one for sale?
please email......rhabraham@owc.net

Thanks
35Rem

Re: Need a model 14 firing pin

Post by 35Rem »

Might PM member nambujim
http://www.remingtonsociety.com/forums/ ... file&u=592

Contact the companies listed in the service/parts section?
http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/service/
nambujim

Re: Need a model 14 firing pin

Post by nambujim »

Gas!

The answer to your question is "yes" I have some and there always seems to be some listed on the auction sites such as Gunbroker. Because of recent history with selling parts I only sell them as part of a "repair job", some of the reasonss for that are described in the following paragraphs.

There are two (2) basic styles, those with the "hook" extension and those without the hook. If your rifle utilizes one without the hook and you can obtain one with the hook, it can be removed by drilling out the rivits.

Sometimes you can find one that drops in an works just fine but like all the parts on the Model 14 they vary all over the place, particularly with the contour of the "point" itself.

If you have not installed a firing pin on a Model 14 bolt before, you will find it more than you bargained for. First off, the factory installed the "sear pin" so tight that you will need to use a "nail set" to get it out and even then it won't give up willingly. If the sear pin has been removed before it would be to your great advantage, I have seen the "tail" of several bolts that were cracked during the sear pin removal process including one I broke myself.

Some might say that changing the firing pin in these bolts "isn't rocket science" but I beg to differ and I've done it over 100 times. You will need to know at least a degree of rocket trajectory because if you don't know what you're doing when you get the sear pin out, you may well be maimed by the firing pin plunger that will exit with significant force. Once you overcome that and extract the old firing pin the spring/plunger under it will fire off in another direction.

There are 20 parts in a Model 14 bolt (even more in a TNS bolt) and I assure you that you will lose or mangle at least one other part during the process unless you are very fortunate.

Best of luck!

Jim Peterson
Jim Peterson