Remington O/U .41 derringer - broken hinges - worth fixing?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
hilldweller

Remington O/U .41 derringer - broken hinges - worth fixing?

Post by hilldweller »

Worth fixing? Can it be fixed even? No screw, don't have a clue where I'd get one.
Remington Arms Co. Ilion. N.Y. on the top of the barrels that barely goes into the area where they flare.
Ser#735 on bbls and frame. Hard black grips w/fine check.

If anyone knows who works on these I'd appreciate some info.

Don't know if it's worth it or not but I'd like to look into it.
jgabriel

Re: Remington O/U .41 derringer - broken hinges - worth fixi

Post by jgabriel »

Hi hilldweller,
I think every reasonable question deserves some kind of answer. I don't know 41 OU derringers, except that good ones sell at pretty fair price. A lot depends on the overall condition of your antique. If it has good finishes and all original parts with sound mechanical action (other than the broken hinges), then I'd say yes, try to get it repaired. Especially if it has any more rare features.

The rub, of course, is finding metal workers in your area that can do the necessary welding NEATLY. A master at TIG welding can put a very fine bead just where it's needed. I myself feel confident to do fine re-surface contours on fine weld jobs, but you may not. However, it's my experience that a functioning antique that looks good will command a better price later, and you'll save the gun from being scrapped for parts. If you were in southern california, I'd have a welder or two I could find for you capable of doing fine work reasonably priced.

I photo or two of the gun, or some description of condition would help others to offer an opinion in answer to your question.
Best,
John
DavidFagan

Re: Remington O/U .41 derringer - broken hinges - worth fixi

Post by DavidFagan »

The short answer is NO and if you decided to anyhow you have to find someone who knows how to do cast. If it was a rare you would destroy the value if you repaired it more then just eaving it alone. With Remington Arms Co on the top there's no rare one that it can be, it's a parts gun.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer