1882 (?) Side by Side - help please

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
hilldweller

1882 (?) Side by Side - help please

Post by hilldweller »

I just finished cleaning an old family gun after finding it had begun to rust. (Argg!)
The hammers match the style of the ones depicted on this site for an 1882 model shotgun.
I'm assuming Grade 1 or 2 (no engraving). Can't really tell if the bbls are steel or damascus (sp?) due to the bluing.
12 ga. Serial is 7138. Numbers match on all parts.

Anyone help IDing the date of manufacture? Didn't see that series mentioned anywhere - tis why I'm here posting.

Once cleaned up, it looks pretty good. Barrels got a little pitted, but most of the bluing is still there. 30" bbls with bead for a "sight". Bores look in good shape.
Did notice that the right hammer screw is slightly different than the left one. Larger shaft and slightly convex top. May have been drilled and retapped at some point. Never noticed that before. The frame and forearm steel case finish is pretty much a gray pattern now, although the forearm is better and shows a hint of color on the underside.
Buttplate is steel, no finish, with pitting. Trigger guard is blued and has two screws into the stock.

Don't know if it's worth anything or not. Do remember skeet shooting with it in my youth. Think we used the lightest loads they had. Looks like it'll still work fine, but that ain't gonna happen.