11-87 L/H

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
tudurgs

11-87 L/H

Post by tudurgs »

I recently picked up an 11-87 LH for my grandson. Gun has the light contour barrel, and didn't appear to have ever been shot. There is no date code on the left side of the barrel. Is that common?

Secondly - there is an end of a small brass pin on the left side of the forearm, perhaps 1 1/2 inches from the front. It was apparently in place when the wood was finished. Sure doesn't appear to be done after the gun left the factory. What's its purpose?

Thanks.
Fowlgunner

Re: 11-87 L/H

Post by Fowlgunner »

Tudurgs,

I believe they quit using the date stamp on barrels.

The brass piece is actually a screw that is in all 11-87 forearms to eliminate splitting. The head is cut off and then it is sanded to blend with the contour of the forearm.

I had one that backed out a quarter turn. I had to mask the wood around it and dremel it flush again. After I acraglassed the threads on the top inside of the forearm to keep it from moving again.

Hope this helps,

Will
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

The brass pin is a reinforcement to the fore end wood Remington added to the 11-87s, from the beginning. Those LH Light Contour 11-87 barrels are pretty rare. I think they only made them in 28". That was a real nice find for your Grandson. I think the handling with those barrels is better personally.
I have several Remington barrels with no date codes; none particularly new. I think the marking guy sometimes takes a long break.
What could have happened... did.
tudurgs

Post by tudurgs »

Thanks for the help. I was aware of the splitting potential on the aft end of the forearms, hence the fiberglas reinforcement, but had not heard of an issue on the front end. Grandson is tall and SKINNY, so I had him shooting 1 oz loads with 800X powder. He still was getting pushed around a bit Am going to load some 7/8 oz loads with Clays and see if the gun will still cycle. It had no problems with the 1 ouncers
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

If you have issues with lighter loads, you can temporarily gag the relief ports with silicone sealant, or stack up 'O' rings like the barrel seal activator in the Super Mag. Just don't forget to remove it before shooting anything heavy.
What could have happened... did.