Remington Model Seven ???

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
350magman

Remington Model Seven ???

Post by 350magman »

Hello All. Just returned from our local gun show with a new toy and hoping some of you can shed some light on a 'mystery' Model Seven I acquired. The dealer didn't know a lot about it other than the guy he got it from said it was a non-catalogued item and called a 'Seven LSS SF Custom'. It is a 7mm-08 in stainless with a fluted 20" barrel. It has a laminated stock identical to the Model 673 Guide Gun. This rifle is in like-new condition. I have found out that Remington did make an LSS model from 2000 to 2003. But this version had a non-fluted barrel and a typical Model Seven type stock with the schnabel fore-end. The dealer thought that perhaps my rifle was made up in a limited run for a certain distributor? Any thoughts?
600RemGuy

Re: Remington Model Seven ???

Post by 600RemGuy »

Likely a limited run from the factory. They crop up time to time. My shop had a "yeti" M700-SS fluted in 22/250 and I can't find alot about it!
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

350magman wrote:Hello All. Just returned from our local gun show with a new toy and hoping some of you can shed some light on a 'mystery' Model Seven I acquired. The dealer didn't know a lot about it other than the guy he got it from said it was a non-catalogued item and called a 'Seven LSS SF Custom'. It is a 7mm-08 in stainless with a fluted 20" barrel. It has a laminated stock identical to the Model 673 Guide Gun. This rifle is in like-new condition. I have found out that Remington did make an LSS model from 2000 to 2003. But this version had a non-fluted barrel and a typical Model Seven type stock with the schnabel fore-end. The dealer thought that perhaps my rifle was made up in a limited run for a certain distributor? Any thoughts?
Look at the barrel date code and then try to fill in the blanks from there.
It sounds like somebody's customized wet dream and not something that came out of the factory.
Does it have a "Remington" butt plate or recoil pad?

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/que ... arrelcodes

Den
350magman

Post by 350magman »

I don't believe it is a cobbled-up piece. For one thing, I can find no reference to Remington ever offering a stainless Model Seven with a fluted barrel(med./heavy contour). The stock, as I said, is identical to the stock they used on the Model 673(laminated w/wide stripes), and the barreled action fits perfectly. It has the Remington logo on the recoil pad. The only barrel date codes I have go up to 1972. I don't know how to date current Remingtons. The only symbols I see on this Model Seven appear to be OR or QR?
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

350magman wrote:I don't believe it is a cobbled-up piece. For one thing, I can find no reference to Remington ever offering a stainless Model Seven with a fluted barrel(med./heavy contour). The stock, as I said, is identical to the stock they used on the Model 673(laminated w/wide stripes), and the barreled action fits perfectly. It has the Remington logo on the recoil pad. The only barrel date codes I have go up to 1972. I don't know how to date current Remingtons. The only symbols I see on this Model Seven appear to be OR or QR?
I'm looking at the 2007 Remington catalog (Pg. 32 & 33) that has pictures of a stainless fluted barrel Model Seven with Camo stock (it's the "XCR Camo")......that matches your description except for the stock.
If the letter code you're looking at was "O B", that would put the date as July 2007. Sometimes the letters don't get stamped in perfectly. It's not out of the realm of possibility that that "R" is actually a "B" with the bottom chopped off. There is no "Q" in the month code.

The 7mm-08 is one of the listed cartridge/caliber options.

You might check out these links. The first one is to a thread just a little below this one on the forum.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/forums/ ... f=5&t=5113

http://modelsevenxcr.orbs.com/

Den
350magman

Post by 350magman »

Wulfman, You are right about the XCR model, except it had a light contour barrel and mine is magnum contour. I looked at the barrel date code again with a magnifying glass and believe it is OB, which places date of manufacture at 2007, soon after discontinuance of the model 673. I am theorizing that they had some stocks left and used them up with a special run of Sevens with fluted magnum barrels in the standard calibers. This would all fit with what the dealer said the original owner told him, that it was an LSS-SF, which under Remington nomenclature means 'laminated stainless steel-special fluted'. Well, anyway, I will do further research and see what info. I can come up with. I should mention that this rifle has a great feel and balance, not the light, whippy feel of most Model Sevens. Can't wait to shoot it!